Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does NX multi-sessions hamper performance?

[ Edited ]

If I open multi sessions of NX in my computer, does each session maintain the same speed as a single session? Or does it divide the speed and resources in between sessions?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

5 REPLIES

Re: Does NX multi-sessions hamper performance?

I think that would depend on your file sizes, ie large models, and assemblies are going to use up more ram, and at some point would start having to use scratch space on the hard drive, and that would slow performance.

I haven't noticed any slow down with multiple sessions, using 32GB ram, but I also try not to open too many large assemblies at one time.

-Dave
NX 9 | Teamcenter 10.1 | Windows 8.1

Alo if you have SMP turned on vs. how many cores are available

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

Is it true that one seat of NX licence give only access to one parasolid kernel? If you open multisessions, they will be sharing it?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

Above is what I understood while speaking to Onshape, the newest CAD in the market. They claim so many solutions to many hurdles and obstacles we see in many other CAD systems. No installing software or upgrades, licencing issues, full speed multisession, No Saving needed, fully captured lively reversible design states, No crashing, Cloud based and No high-end hardware, No PDM needed, Full power with hand held devices etc. Looks like it’s going to be next generation’s taste and next MCAD revolution.

It’s totally depends on internet connection. Hence still I’m skeptical about design data security. same time technology has changed rapidly and other old systems may not be taking full advantage of the latest advancements.   

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

@mike_fdo:I think you are asking if multiple NX sessions run on the same computer use multiple NX licneses? (a different question from OP who was asking about the amount of system resources, I think).

For licensing, the answer is no. It will use only 1 for each feature accessed.

When you run the LMTOOLS app to manage your licnese file, and go to the "Server Diags" tab, you will see a mssage confirming this fact:

"Requests from the same USER/HOST/DISPLAY do not consume a new license"

You can also use the lmstat capability to see how many licnese features are checked out any any one time and which machines/users have them. The number will not increment for sessions on the same machine, only for new sessions on different machines.

Hope it helps.