Aligning holes

Hi,

I want to create 2 holes at the top of this part, aligned with the bottom holes.

I created 2 vertical lines throught the centers of the existing holes.  When I create a new hole, I can easly snap it to the line using the "point on" relationship.

I know I can just create the holes on the lines, but since this is a learning exercise, I want to know why I can't snap the existing hole to the line like I can with the new hole.

Why doesn't the existing hole snap to the line?  Is there an easier way to align these holes?

Thanks,

Ali

11 REPLIES

Betreff: Aligning holes

Hi,

Yes, simply take one of the upper holes, use the control wheel with move in one direction (axis)  and move it to center of lower hole.

The same with the second and ready.

Rest is done by live rules.

Another method would be using athe axial alignment relation, permanent or non permanent.

Regsrds

Wolfgang 

regards
Wolfgang

Thank you for the tip. What do you do when there are many holes and the one you want is not being selected?  In this part, I want to align the top hole with the bottom, but the line snaps to the larger holes in the part.

Can you please show me the axial alignment option?

Hi,

without knowing how Your part is modeld and which relations will be in fact it is hard to say what is the reason for Your problem.

What I can see in Your pathfinder is, that the way You modeld Your part seems to be very strange.

There are many hole features where in the graphic I see that most of them seems to be the same.

So I suppose, that a hole pattern should solve it much better.

From my expierience it should work to move the hole in an axis direction here too.

But without the part it isn't easy to be exactly

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

I have tried to use the synchronous system for a new project.
One of the problems that still remain is the holes. Other problem is to change chamfers in a pattern.

Solution for me is very simple, I don't draw with synchronous.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Project Engineer @ EMCÉ Winches

Hi 

I very carefully would like to say, that the complete way You modeled Your part is not very efficient.

Supposing the part to be symmetrically - at least most of it - You can use severall wmethods to solve this.

Personally I prefer to only model half of the part with a final mirror (which I do traditional)

I see a couple of hole mirror feature as real mirror where I - again, this would me my way - prefer the mirroring of holes within the basic hole feature instead.

Next question for me is, why You start with the flat sheet metal and not with the bended.

Creating a hole on one flange side through all will save an extra mirror feature and keep it aligned too.

May be You can provide Your PSM here for further testings and I'm very confident, that then a proper solution will be found too.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your input.  I'm trying to learn the best and most efficient way to model parts.

I always try to use mirror when I can, but unfortunately this part is not symmetrical.  If I mirror either the top section or the bottom, the resulting part is not the same as what I need.

The best way I could come up with was to seed 4 initial holes I posted in this thread.  Then I used rectangular pattern to create the rest.  I have attached my part part.  Please feel free to be as critical as you like.  The best way to learn and improve my skills is to listen to people who are experts in this field Smiley Happy

As for why I started with the flat, it's because the drawing I'm using to create this part is drawn as a flat piece.

@DanielMCMLXXXII

I used pattern and mirrors as muc as I could.  I have attached my part in the previous reply.  Please take a look and tell me what I can do to improve it.

Hi,

OK, what I have seen so far is, that - and again, this is my personall approach - I prefer to combine every hole with the same properties into one and the same hole feature.

So for example within Your part I would like to have holes 1, 2, 128, 129, ... within the same base hole feature.

You can pattern any of it with for example a fill pattern feature, which allows You to stagger rows and columns.

This will reduce the number of features, the length of pathfinder and the possibilities for modifying parameters.

Also I would start with bend sheet metal instead of flatten.

Your goal - I suppose - will be the finished part rather then a  flattend geometry with defined dimensions.

IMHO it will be easier for all the holes on the side flanges going through both sides.

But this would - as mentioned - my way to use SE with or without sync.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

I tried to delete and regroup my holes.  A couple of questions.

How do I delete the mirrors?  There are 4 small holes on the flange, but I cannot delete them either.

I tried the pattern fill, but it covered the hole part.  How would you set it up to match my spacing? Eventually I will have tubes going through the holes in the pattern.  Can I use either the rectangular patter or fill pattern to add the parts in assembly?  The new part is attached.