Assemblies

I am having trouble with behavior in assemblies. Odd behavior with planar alignments and moving with the steering wheel. Where I used to drag my first part in and it became anchored with the origin of the part aligned with assembly zero I now have to align by referencing the XYZ origin planes. Circular alignment did not work at all. I am getting "The requested relationship conflicts with others and cannot be placed". Then it proceeds to not tell me why.  Where is a good place to find out the differences and can I revert back to ST7 behavior for assemblies?

Hey, looks like I lost all my badges so welcome Dave the rookie Smiley Wink

7 REPLIES

Re: Assemblies

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave [the newbRobot LOL

I tried to recreate your assembly issue, but I get the normally "grounded" first part by default, as expected....I can't recall where, & I had a look, but I can't find the setting that must be controlling this.....other than remembering there is a shorcut [hold shift] while placing your first part to suppress the automatic grounding function.

Perhaps this was the case for you......?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I did not think of using the shortcut idea. Never had to before. Your
mention of recreating the assembly though reminded me of a problem that
happens once in a great while to me. Somehow the part or parts have
become corrupted and if you just start over with a clean slate it all
works fine. Never have figured that out because the rate of occurrence
is so small I don't worry about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

If the auto-ground function is not working for some reason (bound to just be a setting somwhere), the way to recreate it is to ground the part using the ground mate, then make sure the position XYZ and rotation XYZ of the part are all zero (in occurence properties).

Much simpler and easier than mating to the base planes etc.

I had forgotten that one. I have been so accustomed to the first part
self grounding that my mind went blank when the problem popped up. Any
suggestions as to why concentric alignment did not work either? Now
there is further information I did not state first time and it is CW4SE
SP2 is loaded in with ST8. I don't know if that has any bearing on the
problem but it may.

[ Edited ]

I've only got ST7 here so can't try your specific example though occasionally this kind of thing happens to me too. To be honest, it's usually my fault, but also sometimes unexplainable.  

I think there's probably a clash between a face mate and the cylindrical mate you're trying to do, i.e. it thinks the axis of the cylinder is not exactly perpendicular to the flat faces so it can't solve.  As I said, sometimes I find I've made a stupid mistake in the modelling and sometimes it's unexplained, so either use the angle measurement tools to check your work, or place the cylindrical mate first, then do the face mates.

I sometimes think there's maybe a rounding error internal to SE that causes this, but I've no actual evidence for this!

How true. There are times I just have to start over and can't duplicate
the problem. Leaves you grasping for theories on why but no valid reasons.

Hold SHIFT & drag part in to skip adding relationships.

Hold CTRL & drag part in to force a 0,0,0 grounded position.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.