Solved! Go to solution

Constraining distance between planes into assembly

Coming from a Creo background, I'm used to creating parallel constrains, dragging my part where I want it, then changing the parallel constraints to distance constraints.  Alternatively, I could fix (ground) my part, then add my distance constrains, then delete the fix/ground constraints.

In solid edge ST8, is there a way for me to take my grounded component and directly apply a distance constraint (so I can then remove my grounded constraints) or is it necessary that I record measurements, delete ground, mate surfaces, and then apply the distance?

5 REPLIES

Betreff: Constraining distance between planes into assembly

Hi,

You simply can change the x,y z position of grounded parts with properties of occurence.

RMB at pathfinder

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Patrick90
‎11-09-2015 09:30 AM

Re: Constraining distance between planes into assembly

Hi Patrick,

I believe what you want to do is use the mate constraint, but select the float option when placing the constraint.  You will see the distance entered in the box, but not yet applied.  Then go back and change the float option to fixed and SE will apply that value and your part should not move.

The same idea works for planar constraint as well.  

You'll need to suppress or delete the ground constraint before doing the above steps.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

That's what I was missing, thank you!

Glad to help!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

You can also try using the 'Use Distance Between Faces as Default Offset' setting.

If your part is positioned and you delete the ground constraint it should stay in the same place.

I should point out that it does not work with flash fit.

You have to specify whether Mate or Align.

The setting stays on until you turn it off again.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.