How have new windows opening when dxf file is opened

Hallo Sir, I did the procedure to stop new windows opening when dxf file is opened, but now I have to do a special work and I need almost two window opening when selecting two similar DXF.

Any one knows how to fix back the registry procedure

I tryed to delete some reg key, but nothing happened

Thanks and regards

4 REPLIES

Re: How have new windows opening when dxf file is opened

I believe deleting won't help much here.

See this message post and I guess you will have to change the hex back to 1 or something similar.

Best way is to search for this entry in a 'clean' i.e. un-tampered install of SE on another computer and compare the values at these registry locations and run the .reg again from the above post manually.

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I assume you need to have the two versions of the file open side by side.....

You can do this in one instance of Solid Edge, or two seperate instances of SE. [right click the SE icon in the task bar, select SE and another will open]

Click the maximise button for the active document [or the application if opening 2x SE] and resize accordingly.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Sorry for the delay in not responding. Have been busy of late testing ST8 :-) so haven't been staying up to date on the forum posts :-(

You will first have to remove the existing DXF open registry keys and then create dxf_auto_file registry settings, which all starts to get ugly pretty quickly.

Here are the registry keys necessary. You will need to obviously update the location of edge.exe to match your system:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.dxf]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.dxf]
@="dxf_auto_file"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithList]
"a"="edge.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithProgids]
"dxf_auto_file"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\UserChoice]
"Progid"="dxf_auto_file"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\edit\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Solid Edge ST8\\Program\\Edge.EXE\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\Read]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\dxf_auto_file\shell\Read\command]

I have also attached a copy of the registry file for your convenience. You will need to first open this registry file into a text editor and update your edge.exe location to match your system -- unless you just happen to be running ST8 at the moment ;-)

Sorry also for my delay in the reply. Thanks a lot, the procedure works fine!