How to "snap from" in solid edge?

Subject says it all.

6 REPLIES

Re: How to "snap from" in solid edge?

Umm. not really. is that a Solidworks term? can you explain "snap from" or what you are trying to do?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

It is a autocad term that stuck with me. Meaning starting a new line and I want to start it an 1" from a drawing. I don't want to draw a line out an 1" then start my line I wanted and delete the original line. I want to "snap from" an inch away off the rip. Can I do something like extrude from a surface? Meaning I have a W shaped solid with each high point being higher then the last from left to right. Can I extrude the first hight point from the second high point to the last high point.

I think its an Auto Cad term. I may have made it up?

It's indeed an AutoCAD method.

AutoCAD is great, but SE to. Both program's work completely different, so don't try to work in SE like you do in AutoCAD.

Just draw your line and after that annotate it. The line will go to its correct place.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user

Joris has a good point... SE is not ACAD.  I never draw anything precise as I'm drawing.  I place it in the approximate position and then use dimensions to put it in the precise position.  If I'm doing something like a schematic where I just need consistent spacing, then I use the Grid's "snap" function.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

I'm a former AutoCAD user with over 50K hours of AutoCAD use. The change in work flow is frustrating at first.

Snap is very simple concept. Starting some new geometry using and existing handle point = snap. Most typically selecting the end or middle of an existing edge to start a new line.

AutoCAD users tend to "not know" what some dimensions are become you just use a copy or snap to existing geometry. Modeling forces you to become more familiar with the exact dimensions are are trying to achieve. Also modeling is a mixture of top down and bottom up, where as AutoCAD is only Bottom up.

Ordered is more bottom-up oriented, Sync is more Top-down oriented.

There are a few conceptual things that really help out the ability to "Snap" to things.

Ordered:

Try to draw sketches within assembly driven part. That allows you to use any existing sketches and geometry of that part.

Much of the time, using an include of a plane or other geometry is the way to make other points available. Pay attention if the include is perpetual or not.

As I was getting started, it became habit to include the edges of the part with perpetual includes to gain geometry to work from. As I became more experience this becomes less necessary.

I tend to use planes in ordered as reference geometry. Allowing many parts to be driven from the same object that not a feature of any other parts.

Sync:

One of the drawbacks of Sync is the need to "activate" part to be able to use there geometry, this is very frustrating and a primary slowdown to sync mode learning curves.

Both modes:

In any case, I still have ot remind myself to check the "peer" button under tools. Not having this checked will really drive you crazy.

One thing to be careful of in general is Exactly what is being referenced. When looking normal to a sketch, it is sometimes difficult to grab the right geometry, often I rotate into an isometric type point of view, grab the point I want, then Control-H to get back to normal.