Solved! Go to solution

Live rule not working as expected

Hi,

I want to move this hole without moving the rounded edge.  I clicked on the hole and cleared the maintain concentric relation.

As soon as I move the hole, the body moves.  I noticed the maintain concentric option in live rules turns red.  What does the red mean and why is the body moving when the maintain concentric is unchecked?

20 REPLIES

Re: Live rule not working as expected

Red means that condition is being found in the model but you have turned off the live rule. You have face relationships added to your model and I'm guessing this is what's causing it to move. Try expanding the Relationships group in your pathfinder and see if there's a Concentric relationship in there.

Thank you.

Why doesn't the Live Rule override the model relationships?  Isn't that the purpose of the setting?  Is there another way to have concentric features without having a concentric relationship in the part?

The only way I know how to have two concentric features is to add a relation in the part.  This means every time I need to move one of the features, I have to turn off the live rule setting and remove the relation in the part.  There must be something I'm missing here because this sounds like extra work.

Turning off the concentric should do the trick.

The red outline is a rule that applies in the given situation, but is turned off.

Green means it applies, and is ON.

White means its OFF and doesn't apply to the given situation.

Not sure why the body is moving. It looks like you have some face relations which might be driving something. Hard to tell what might be going on without the actual part.

Here's a blog article on the Live Rules:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Synchronous-Technology-and-Live-Rules...

The only way I know how to have two concentric features is to add a relation in the part.  This means every time I need to move one of the features, I have to turn off the live rule setting and remove the relation in the part.  There must be something I'm missing here because this sounds like extra work.

Ah, beat me to the punch...

No, live rules are applied automatically, and face relations are manual. They can conflict, but you don't use live rules to turn off face relations. Two different systems. If the hole actually IS concentric with the round edge, then Live Rules will notice that, and maintain the relationship, unless you turn that off, which you did. If you had a concentric face relation, that is a secondary relation that isn't affected by live rules.

@MLombard

So what does turning off the Maintain Concentric Relations in Live Rules do?

It would be nice to have the option of the live rules settings overriding the existing relationships.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎08-27-2015 03:45 PM

There is an option on the right hand side of live rules that will Relax Persisted relationships. That will suppress the concentric face relate you added and allow you to move the hole.

SPXAli wrote:

@MLombard

So what does turning off the Maintain Concentric Relations in Live Rules do?

It would be nice to have the option of the live rules settings overriding the existing relationships.

Honestly, I don't make much use of face relations, unless I want to force something that doesn't currently exist. So I would usually apply the relation, but not use the "persist" option. This allows you to control it through Live Rules. If I wanted to turn something off, I wouldn't apply it as a persistent relation. Of course, @bweisenberger nailed it with the option to relax the persistent relations. I don't know, it just seems like you're making a lot of work for yourself by applying the persistent option, and then relaxing it. It's not wrong, it's just more work than you need to do.

It appears as though in your workflow that you might be using the face relationships to move geometry where you want it to achieve the "condition" you want (concentric, parallel, etc).   This is perfectly valid.  By default, the face relationships are set to "Persisted" meaning you want to maintain this relationship and therefore it becomes listed in your Pathfinder.  These relationships override Live Rules (Design Intent in ST8) unless you suppress them during the move.

If you want to set geometric conditions and have Live Rules/Design Intent manage your geometry, just turn off the "Persisted" icon during the face relate action.  You can also use the steering wheel to move geometry where you want it.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

@bweisenberger

Bingo.  That's the setting I was hoping to find.Man Happy