Part numbering how is it working?

Dear Members,

I have an assembly in which I manually set the numbers of the parts. Now I want to use these part numbers as callouts on a draft. But whenever I try to create a linked ballon part number callout on the draft, it starts counting from 1. Whatever part is selected it starts from 1.  I am using ST6.

24 REPLIES

Re: Part numbering how is it working?

This is the wrong forum to post that question as this is for those using the Free 2D Drafting product.  Use the Solid Edge forum and you should get a good answer.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

I don't understand @Grundey's reply that this doesn't belong here. This is the Solid Edge Forum, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm not clear on what you mean by "manually set the numbers" but balloons typically reference an item number which is referenced by a parts list. To actually automatically show some value, as opposed to typing it, in a balloon which is not an item number you have to turn off "select item number" and use "select property text". Select property text will present a dialog in which you find the property to which you assigned part numbers. If that's what you did.

Maybe a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish would help.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Without doing something like inserting the whole assembly or making a macro that goes back and adds a property to each item with the assembly item number you are stuck with manually changing it.

@bshand Somebody moved the post... It was in the 2D Drafting forum originally.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

I shoulda figured.

Bruce Shand

Is this a case of setting the item numbers in the assembly model ?

If so you need to set your draft parts list to use them -

RMB on the Parts List > Properties > Options

The first checkbox at the top left 'Use Assembly Generated Item Numbers' needs to be checked.

Assembly Generated Nos.JPG

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Seems like he doesn't want item numbers. Anyway, I wonder, given that there has been no response from him, if he even knows the post was moved to a different forum?

Bruce Shand

This only helps if you pull in the full assembly, if you pull in a single part of the assembly it does not retain the item number from the assembly.

The only way to retain item numbers for an individual part is to pull in the full assembly and only show that single part you want to show. This turns out to make draft files huge and lagy in practice sadly, I wish SE was smart enough to understand that you only care about that single piece. Whats more annoying is if you modify the assembly by adding a part etc. that new part will show up by default into the views with no option to disable this behavior.

[ Edited ]

@nanan00, That's sort of true but is that what he was asking about? I'm not sure.

You can control if a new part shows up by using configurations or even (more rarely I assume) occurence properties.

Also if you pull in part views from the wizard from within the assembly structure they will track with the BOM. If you pull them in by browsing for them individually they will not track.

Bruce Shand