Rearranging parts in assembly tree

Is it possible to rearrange the parts in assembly tree?

We follow Top-down apporach for creating assemblies. We end up with a assembly tree which is not very well organised. For example it's a mix of standard and non standard parts. So i usually group similar categories. This helps to hide tat category in a single command. 

Now the difficulty is, in order to add more parts in a category I have to move one part at a time. This is same even for rearranging.

Any suggestion on this.  

6 REPLIES

Re: Rearranging parts in assembly tree

[ Edited ]

You already have the answer - Groups.

Select the parts you want to move and group them.

Move the new group into the destination group.

Ungroup the new group.

Done.

Just in case you were not aware, you can have groups within groups.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I have been doing exactly what you suggested for years. But don't you think its time consuming activity. I mean what's the point in grouping and ungrouping.

It would have been much easier if we could select the parts by holding the 'ctrl' key and just drag it into the group. 

(Just a thought : Whenever we make a group category, it has a specific idea, say "Standards" or "Bought out items". It is always better to keep one level data in our mind. The moment we go for group into a group, we tend to put more levels in brain which is not good.

Always "KISS" = Keep It Simple Sir)

Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Hi,

I just did, what You explained.

I have a group, then take another part and dragged it into that group.

There is the same question as coming up with fetrue group in a part:

What do You want? Put the new part at the beginning of the existing group, at the end of it or after that group

Just simple and easy as it should be

regards
Wolfgang

Let me be more clear. Moving one part is easy. But the problem is moving multiple parts. Suppose I place 4 components in an assembly. Then moving them in a group or arranging then at the top to the tree is difficult. Ofcouse we can group them and then move and ungroup. Can we avoid this waste of time?

What is more annoying is if we have to move the parts to the top of the tree and if the tree is very big then it consumes more time. 

Ah, okay, see  what You want

regards
Wolfgang

Yes, I agree, you should be able to multi-select and move to a group.

However, it might then be too easy to accidentally move parts.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.