Solid Edge and Teamcenter

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm at the stage of implementation of Teamcenter and transfer documentation to him and I have a problem.
I'm not entirely convinced as I assemblies represent elements such as strings, tapes and so on., And how to deal with the occurrence of string in a product distributed and complex, since both must have the same ID.
In general, I would like to know how you like to work with the PDM, I mean such situations as above, and here is what is really important to you when creating new objects in the PDM or give attention to objects in Teamcenter previews.

SE ST8 + TC 10.1
4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge and Teamcenter

[ Edited ]

Are you referring to the differences in the Engineering BOM (EBOM) vs the Manufacturing BOM (MBOM)?

Adopted assumptions relating to the business model does not include today mBOM but it may mistake. Could you explain to me how it appeared to the case of the post above in a practical way?

SE ST8 + TC 10.1

@Wollverine I am not sure I completely understand you, but I will restate what I think I heard -- with a focus on the strings/tapes item number and TC preview.

Things like strings and tapes and springs are best handled as "adjustable parts" (see SE help on this). An Adjustable Part has a single part number, but may appear a different size/length in each assembly it is used in. The context of the assembly determines the size/length -- and the part is "promoted" to the assembly where it is sized to fit (the original file remains unchanged).

What this means in TC and preview is that the preview of the assemblies will show the proper length in that assembly, but if you look at the part on its own, it will always be the original "seed" size. This is the same out of TC also. 

It may be possible to do this with FRAMES also, if the string/tape is of constant cross section. In this case, you may be able to get more out like "length of part" automatically, rather than having to jump through some hoops for this. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for the advice. Exactly it was (but did not completely), these solutions are good but to a certain extent. We use these solutions already.

Here is an example of what I'm really talking about:
he product is a blind of several sizes (approx. 60 sizes).
Cord is not shown as a straight section (in total it is presented so but only for documentation executive) but is pulling from the 3D curve and it looks like the product assembled. In turn, the composite product has a different shape but in Teamcneter both strings should have the same ID number. Know that this can be done in frames. However, cord is in subassmeblie, in which there is no possibility of catching the dimensions of the main assemblie. I should add that all of this comes family of parts / assembly.
We have a lot of products in this kind. 

And it was from here the question whether from your experience, if you had a similar case and whether in your PDM you created two versions of the product (folded or unfolded), or have created only one version (eg. Complex)?

SE ST8 + TC 10.1