Sweep controlled by assembly

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Solid works, with a heavy Wildfire/Creo background.

I have a complex assembly that is constrained to allow a certain component limited motion along two arcs.  I would like to create a solid showing the area of travel possible for this component (for interference purposes).

I've been looking for ways to create a sketch projected from the component, then construct a sweep based on the assembly constraints, but I have had no luck.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick

9 REPLIES

Re: Sweep controlled by assembly

You can try assigning a rotational motor to the component with limited angle range and check the interference directly. See this article.

Thanks Tushar, if nothing else works I will go that route.

The idea, however, is to be able to see an "interference bubble" to use when designing the surrounding components.  For that reason, a surface or solid model would be ideal.

Thanks,

Patrick

[ Edited ]

Hi Patrick:

You can use the Trace Curve program to get the curve traced by a point on the rotating comopnent and use the curve in some way to create the sweep feture.

See this post. especially message #5 by Jason Titcomb. It is a free program to create a trace curve.

~Tushar Suradkar

www.CADVertex.com

I will give that a shot.  Thanks!

[ Edited ]

The built-in Simply Motion has this ability.

Tools tab>Environs group>Motion button.

The assembly needs to be a flat structure I think.

Movie

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Aha, I believe this is what I need!  Once I create a number of bodies to show the interference zones, I should be able to use the Union command to join them into a single body, correct?

I'll be honest, I wasn't  sure I liked solid edge at first.  But it's growing on me...it seems like it has a lot of very useful functionality tucked away in menus I had no idea existed.

Thanks for all the help!

Patrick

Not sure if you will be able to create a solid from the sweep steps.

Do you really need to?

You will get a surface copy of the selected components at each interval.

You could use other command to creae an approximate sweep referencing the surfaces.

Shouldn't take too long to try it.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

I created a collection of surfaces manually yesterday to rough out the interference zone, and with that many bodies the model became very bulky and hard to deal with.  The ability to turn it into a single entity would make the remainder of this design drastically more efficient.  I'm attempting it now, I'll post back and you let you if it worked.

So, the Simply Motion stuff worked really nicely to generate a high res interference assembly (thanks!).  However, it would still be really nice to be able to integrate all of that into a single body. I can convert it into a single part file by exporting into a parasolid and importing back in, but each component still shows up as an individual construction or design body.  Any thoughts on how to combine them?

Thank you,

Patrick