Solved! Go to solution

Total quantity number in drawing of single part

Hello 

I make drawings of sheet metal parts for leser cutting and bending.

I'am trying to put into drawing some property which describes total quantity of part in assembly

But I can not to find anything. Of course I can open assambly drawing and check it on list of materials.

But it takes some time and can make some mistakes

Anybody know how to do this autmaticaly?

17 REPLIES

Re: Total quantity number in drawing of single part

Use the parts list function in the assembly draft to put a bill of materials (BOM) on the drawing, with optional ballooning of the drawing view.

Hello Alex

I do not want to  use this in assembly draft file.

I want to use this in a single part drawing.

Maybe will be better If I give some example.

I have assembly file  where is part named  Sheetmetal1. 

I know that  inside this assembly is 10 piecese of Sheetmetal1.

I have to prepare drawing of Sheetmetal1 and send it to my supplier to produce it.

So  they need information about quantity included in drawing.

I cant write manualy in drawing of Sheetmetal1 " quantity: 10 pieces"

But I want to SE make it for me automaticaly

[ Edited ]

You have to have the assembly in the draft although you don't have to show it. You just have to derive the views of the parts from it in the view wizard then edit list control in the bom and display settings in the view to isolate the view and the parts list to the item of interest. If you are going to have multiple details on one sheet turn off "link to active" when you insert a new parts list for the second item. You can use configurations to assist.

It's ugly as heck but that's the only way that I know of.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SUCHY
‎08-01-2016 01:02 AM

That's not possible as the parts don't 'know' what assemblies they are in - think about the case of a bolt which could be used hundreds of times in hundreds of assemblies.

An alternative would be to draft all the parts indivudally in the assembly draft. When you start the drawing view wizard you can select a single part in the assembly structure and show a view of it alone. I'm pretty sure you could then have a callout that automaticly labels the quantity and part number. You could do this for every part, one to a sheet or several per sheet, whatever suits best.

See attached example if that doesn't make sense.

Hi,

We've already discussed about this:

link

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

That's true, @Imics, but I'm not sure it clarifyies.

Bruce Shand

this is the same old story!

A single part draft only shows what is necessary for the production of one single piece of part.

The property quantity (out of bill of material) doesn't make any sence within a single part draft.

What happens the sheet part is used in one assembly 10 times and in another 15 times.

What number should be drawn on the draft?

10 or 15

And if we need both assemblies?

Doe we have to revise this drawing? To we have to create a new drawing number for that order?

What You are going to achieve is to mix an engineering task (creation of the draft) with an ERP task (building of order information, build information for certain order numbers)

Take in consideration that You also have to create one and the same drawing again and again if the quantity changes from one assembly to the next.

Production order informations more or less are better solved within PDM and ERP

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
‎08-01-2016 01:02 AM

@hawcad, I agree with you. However, there are as many ways of doing things as there are organizations doing them. If the jobs/parts are one-offs then ERP concerns sort of go away and you can mix engineering with production without worrying about other jobs and assemblies. I'm not trying to advocate the "right way", but just showing how to achieve what he wants.

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
‎08-01-2016 01:01 AM

Hi,

no problem, I only wanted to express possible problems when using quantity numbers within single part drawings.

Since this request is coming up again and again I also might say that we have "solved" that request many qears ago by creating a macro, counting the quantity of parts within an assembly and writing back that number to the part file.

But - and this is the big "But" - this only will be true for this single assembly.

If the same part will be used otherwhere else than the output is wrong

And there is now mechanism to avoid that.

regards
Wolfgang