Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that possible to apply cross-section effect in Induction motor model?

Pioneer
Pioneer

As far as I know, Mechanical characteristic curve of Induction motor is depends on squirrel cage cross-section pattern

Like below image

01.png

I want to make Induction motor model using SCIM component in LMS Amesim.

so, I was wonder, Is it possible apply cage effect in Induction motor model?

e.g. double squirrel cage, single squirrel cage, deep squirrel cage, and so on

02.png

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES

Re: Is that possible to apply cross-section effect in Induction motor model?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi Kuro,

Yes you are right, the torque slip characteric of a squirrel cage induction machine is strongly dependent of the rotor bar shape. This effect is also known as the deep bar effect. Basically, it is because at low speed the frequency seen from the rotor is much higher than near the synchronous speed. The rotor bar induced current responsible of the torque production are thus confined to the outer part of the bar at low speed, whereas it grows all along the bar near synchronism.

In order to take this physical phenomenon into account, a practical solution is to represent the machine equivalent circuit with several branches for the rotor bar:

1and2RotorBarBranches.png

Unfortunately, this 2 branches model is not available yet in the current Amesim version. This is one of the new feature of Amesim revision 16.0 that will be delivered in January next year. It will feature optionally, linear or non linear magnetization, an iron losses model, and 1 up to 3 branches for the rotor cage model.

Just an additional comment to complete this answer. Depending on what you need to simulate, you may be able to neglect the deep bar effect. This is the case if your simulation focuses only near the rated speed of the machine. In that zone, the single branch circuit parameters can very accurately represent the machine behavior.

If it is not the case, I advise you wait the next Amesim revision 16 release. If you cannot wait so long please contact the official support line to come back to me.

Best regards,

Florent Pasteur

Re: Is that possible to apply cross-section effect in Induction motor model?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you for your answers
As your advice, I will clarify the purpose of modeling.
I'm looking forward to version 16