cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run 1000+ different networks in AMESim/MATLAB

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all:

I have an algorithm generates huge number of possible and different tubular pipe flow networks/layouts (in the thousands) and I must be able to extract a small number of feasible networks on the basis of fluid dynamic properties. Is there any way to import or sketch these 1000+ networks in AMESim in an efficient manner, i.e., by "batch processing"?

I have learned that I can import AMESim results into MATLAB and do the batch run for different scenarios (different features, properties, ...BUT for A network/layout). For this, I have to load .ame file containing sub-files that I don't understand them and not easy to build .ame file externally. I have to find a possible way to sketch the 1000+ networks in a batch method. Is there any way to load or sketch a new network inside MATLAB? Do you have any suggestions? I have pipes, bends and Tees in the networks. 

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Regards,

9 REPLIES

Re: Run 1000+ different networks in AMESim/MATLAB

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi,

from your question I understand that when you talk about batch processing you mean a batch creation of several models in one go. Not sure if we could do this in an efficient manner but I see two possible ways:

1. You use the scripting capabilities of LMS Amesim and based on your algorithm you build the models directly using scripts
  2. in order to work based on an architecture you should consider using LMS System Synthesis. The biggest drawback I see for the moment is the fact that there are no scripting capabilities at this moment in LMS System Synthesis which would makes it hard then to make this an efficient process.

I am puzzled when you say that you export your LMS Amesim Results to MATLAB in order to perform a batch run. Why do you do this and not use the batch run capabilities within LMS Amesim? Maybe you could consider doing everything in LMS Amesim?

Eventually LMS System Synthesis could also address your needs as it can trigger from a base architecture point-of-view the necessary tools (LMS Amesim / MATLAB) for the run that needs to be executed with the new configuration.

Hope this helps

MMMDennis

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi @FGh

if you want to sketch different variants, then you will need the LMS Imagine.Lab circuit API.

This API is available in Python, C++ and VBA.

With this API you have access to all modes of LMS Amesim, hence you can create a model from scratch.

You can have a look at it in the documentation Help > Online > All platform manuals > LMS Amesim Circuit API.

If you want to see how such a script would look like, you can also open an existing .ame file then go under the menu Tools > scripting > generate Python script. Then it will create a Python script file of your model.

Kind regards

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi MMMDennis,

Thank you very much for your reply and helpful comment. To be honest, I am beginner in learning/using LMS and have just downloaded LMS AMESim student version a few days ago. Sorry if my way of batch running is nonsense. The idea of importing from AMESim into MATLAB was to try:

1- Connect my algorithm to AMESim
2- Perform batch runs for both creation and simulation of the networks inside MATLAB

Using the scripting capabilities of LMS Amesim, can I build a model to read the geometry directly from my algorithm? Scripting is not accessible in AMESim student version, and I guess there is no student version of LMS System Synthesis? Right?
Thank you again for your comment.
All the best,

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi MMMDennis,

Thank you very much for your reply and helpful comment. To be honest, I am beginner in learning/using LMS and have just downloaded LMS AMESim student version a few days ago. Sorry if my way of batch running is nonsense. The idea of importing from AMESim into MATLAB was to try:

1- Connect my algorithm to AMESim
2- Perform batch runs for both creation and simulation of the networks inside MATLAB

Using the scripting capabilities of LMS Amesim, can I build a model to read the geometry directly from my algorithm? Scripting is not accessible in AMESim student version, and I guess there is no student version of LMS System Synthesis? Right?
Thank you again for your comment.
All the best,

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Domi,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to the help documentation as I am using the student version. So my question is:
using the scripting capabilities of API, can I build a model/script to read the geometry of the networks directly from my algorithm?
Thank you again for your time and comment.
All the best,

FGh

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Dear Fgh,

you are more than welcome. There are no nonsense questions...it is good to ask to make progress.

Your assumptions are not completely correct. There are scripting capabilities in the LMS Amesim Student Edition (see attached document) but there is no Student Version of LMS System Synthesis.

If the algorithm is only changing parameters you could definitely try to perform this work within LMS Amesim. if you are also changing the topology of your system then this is more complex and would require some more advanced features of either LMS Amesim or LMS System Synthesis.

Hope you manage to find a good compromise between what you have available in the LMS Amesim Student Edition and what you need to do for your project.

Kind regards

MMMDennis

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi @FGh

in fact you don't have access to the circuit API from the student edition.

The purpose of LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim student edition is to learn how to use LMS Amesim and it is therefore limited to the features necessary to start learning LMS Amesim

What you need is a more advanced that pure learning purpose and is out of the scope of this student edition.

In this case I recommend you to get in touch with your local Siemens PLM office to see which possibilities you have depending on your project.

Kind regards

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter
@FGh now has access to the full Amesim capabilities including circuit API thanks to the educational licensing available to all universities

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you, Bob for your help and support.