Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1D elements Cross-Section Additional Properties

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I wanted to know how to obtain additional info for beam cross-section such as location of centroid, shear center etc in FEMAP. I am unable to get the above info from Property->Shape Section. Sect1.png

Sec2.png

Patran has ability to provide the above (image 2) info as well as additonal information I needed.

Sect3.png

Thanks...

7 REPLIES

Re: 1D elements Cross-Section Additional Properties

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear VN

With FEMAP the life is more easy, simply run command "Tools > Section Property > Surface Property" and select any surface cross section, then FEMAP will measure the cross-section properties of the selected surface. Inputs required for this command are the surface ID and the Y-Axis vector. The first point selected in the Y-Axis (or orientation vector) will also define the origin. FEMAP will then internally mesh the surface and use the Y-Axis vector and the Beam Cross-Section Generator to calculate the section properties. A typical result is the folloiwng:

Surface Section Properties
Preparing Cross Section...
Meshing Surface 10...
Meshing Surface 10...
Computing Properties...
Orientation of Section Properties:
Origin:  X=          0.   Y=          0.  Z=          0.
Y Axis:  X=          0.   Y=          1.  Z=          0.
Z Axis:  X=          1.   Y=          0.  Z=          0.

Section Properties:
Area                          A=   12.
Centroid (from Origin):       Cy=  2.99999   Cz=  1.5  
Moment of Inertia:            Iyy= 16.9999   Izz= 55.9996 Iyz=  0.
Principal Moment of Inertia:  I1=  55.9996   I2=  16.9999
Radius of Gyration:           Ry=  1.19024   Rz=  2.16024
Angle to Principal Axes:      Ang= -4.05026E-12
Polar Moment of Inertia:      Ip=  72.9994     
Shear Center (from Origin):   SCy= 2.99999    SCz= -0.75428
Shear Center (from Centroid): SCy= 0.         SCz= -2.25427
Shear Area:                   Asy= 4.41981    Asz= 6.3263  
Torsional Constant:           J=   3.96134
Warping Constant:             W=   80.881

The result includes reference to the chosen orientation as well as the section properties. FEMAP calculates the stan­dard section properties such as area, moments of inertia, torsional constant, and shear area. In addition, principal moments of inertia, radius of gyration, angle to principal axes, and warping constant are output.

This command uses the same Beam Cross-Section Generator available under Model, Property (type Beam) Shape.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

Blas,

Thanks for replying. Is it possible to illustrate how to issue Section Properties command with 1D element? I am getting a prompt to select a surface but if I have just line elements, how can I proceed with the above command?

Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

If you have the cross section dimensions then simply draw the geometry of the cross section in FEMAP (or import as solid from any CAD system):

1. Draw the cross section profile with curve lines & arcs: use commands like GEOMETRY > CURVE - LINE > CONTINUOUS, or click the F9 key and draw line by line
  2. Next define a boundary surface with curves using command GEOMETRY > BOUNDARY SURFACE > FROM CURVES,
  3. Finally convert the boundary surface in a PARASOLID surface using GEOMETRY > SURFACE > CONVERT.

Once you have the surface geometry of the beam cross section created then issue command TOOLS > SECTION PROPERTIES > SURFACE PROPERTIES.

Best regards,

Blas.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Blas,

Thanks for replying. It seems like the section needs to be created and the command used to obtain geometrical properties. At this moment, it seems like the method is tedious but over time it may turn out to be otherwise.

Anyways, I appreciate your response and help.

Solution Partner Phenom

Dear VN,

A great feature of future version of FEMAP V11.3 for BEAM CROSS SECTIONS will be the additional information that will appear in the picture of the defined beam cross-section, placing the section properties in the window to the left of the picture, well done for the FEMAP guys!!.

beam-cross-section-femapv113.png

Also, to help to understand how to input the dimensions of the beam cross section definition the new release of FEMAP V11.3 will include explicitly the dimension marks like in the following picture, great!!.

beam-cross-section2-femapv113.png

The same philosophy for the beam nastran sections:

beam-cross-section3-femapv113.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello.
Blas whether there is an opportunity to add to the standart profiles a new type of cross-section like this:

Section.png

Adding and changing section by means General Section-Surface not always convenient

Pioneer
Pioneer

Great to find that v11.3 gonna include additional Beam C/S info. If FEMAP folks are reading this, please do consider including Shear Center information as well. It would be really helpful.

Any idea on ETA of v11.3?

Blas, thanks for letting us know. I am now excited about the next release Smiley Happy