Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API codes for stress summary using Ranking method

Creator
Creator
Hi, I want to create a principal stress summary for the elements using FEMAP API. At the moment I am using the API coding for creating the stress summary for all the elements. But it is taking too long to complete the calculation. So I am planning to use the Ranking method (similar to FEMAP Results Ranking option) and list the summary for the Top 50 critical elements. Is it possible in FEMAP API? Can anybodu help in this regard? Thanks Karthikeyan M
5 REPLIES

Re: API codes for stress summary using Ranking method

Genius
Genius
What environment are you coding in (WinWrap, Excel VBA, Visual Studio)? There are different ways to do what you are asking for. Can you post your code?

Creator
Creator
I am using Excel VBA At the moment I am finding the stress summary for all elements among all load cases. Instead I want to create a stress summary for the top 50 critical elements among all load cases using ranking method.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

FEMAP v11.3 which was just released has a new method, feResultsRankingToDataTable(...), on the application object which will allow you to populate the Data Table with the Ranking results. You could then use the Data Table object to retrieve that information.

If you don't want to do that though, and you are seeing unacceptable performance... what objects are you using?  For something like this you should definitely look at using the Results Browsing object and one of the "bulk" retrieval methods (GetRows( ), GetColumns( ), etc...). The key to performance is often minimizing the number of API calls you are making. The COM functionality used by the API provides fantastic capability to link different languages and programs, but it does come with significant overhead.

Creator
Creator
Hi grudy Thanks for your reply. But my calculation is little complicated since I am doing it for the honeycomb panel (multiple layers) As I need the top 50 critical element by considering the Max stress among all layers, I feel Getcolumn / getrow option is not effective. I have max of 7 Layers with three core and 4 Face sheet. Please let me know if you can help me on this. Thanks & regards Karthikeyan M

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you are simply trying to find the max stress across the plys for each element why not just use the Results Browser object.  Add columns for all of the stresses you want to consider, for all of the plys, for all elements. Then, add an envelope column. When you Populate( ) the ojbect, the envelope column will be filled with max values for each element. You can then just retrieve the data from that one column and find the top 50 (or however many you need). If it helps, you could add the data to a Sort object, sort it and then it will be easy to find the top values.