cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam scheme . Vector addition of the results

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello.
For the beam model obtained results X = Beam EndA Pl1 Shear Force and Y = Beam EndA Pl2 Shear Force

How to handle the results of the calculations to obtain the value of  Z = (X ^ 2 + Y ^ 2 ) ^ 0.5

5 REPLIES

Re: Beam scheme . Vector addition of the results

Phenom
Phenom
How about: Model -> Output -> Vector (creates an output vector (New Vector on Elements)., probably id is 9000000. Select from the Vector list to make it the Active Vector, then Done.
And then Model -> Output -> Fill... select your beam elements (eg by Type =5).
Equation will be POW(POW(VEC(<OutID>;3018;!i);2)+POW(VEC(<OutID>;3019;!i);2));0.5)

Where <OutID> is the Output set number from which you want the results to be calculated.
"!i" is Femap's way of automatically doing the job for all the elements you have selected.
3018 and 3019 are the vector ids for the shear results you have selected.
Note from the Femap Function Reference that POW(x;y) is how you raise x to the power y.
Vector 9000000 now includes the results you want for each element.
I haven't checked that I got it perfectly right, but that will give you what you need.

Genius
Genius

Is there a way to do this for every output set? I need to envelope beam shear resultants rather than their components.

Phenom
Phenom
May be the time to learn how to do a macro or use API. Macro (Program File) is probably the easier thing to start with unless you like programming.

You open the Program File pane (Tools -> Programming -> Program File if not already open), then you press the record button and follow the steps from my earlier post. You will probably also need to record a step like Model -> Output -> Create / Manage Set in order to Activate the Output Set in which you want the [next] new vector placed. Then it's as simple as changing the relevant numbers (like the Activated Output Set list item, AND the <OutID> in the Program File and pressing the Play button with the new numbers inserted. This would be good and fast enough for, say, 20 Output Sets. If you wanted to do many more than this, you would consider using a variable (eg. !Count) and #GOTO and #LABEL and #IF statements in the Program File to loop around a Count of numerous Output Sets to do the whole lot in one go.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

One additional option I'll throw out there is in FEMAP v11.3. We completely overhauled the Contour Vector plots (now called Contour Arrows) and it allows you to do exactly this. 

If you select a Contour Arrow as the contour style, select beam axial or beam shear as your contour vector. In v11.3, we automatically do vector pairngs for you, so if you select either the axial component or one of the shear components, we'll automatically pair those three together (doesn't matter which one you select). This is your resulting plot:

Toolbox settingsToolbox settingsContour arrow plotContour arrow plot

If you change the Arrow Display Mode option from "Automatic" to "Shear (YZ) / Axial (X)", then you get a plot of beam axial force and a resolved plane 1 / 2 shear:

Toolbox arrow settingsToolbox arrow settingsResolved shear plotResolved shear plot

This data can then be listed to the data table in this resolved format using the "List->Output->Contoured Results to Data Table"

Axial / shear listed to Data TableAxial / shear listed to Data Table

Because it's the listed to the Data Table, you can do all the sorting and highlighting and whatnot (and of course copying to Excel for reporting) that comes with the Data Table.

Genius
Genius

Excellent.