Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move geometry

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I imported an iges with a mid-surface.   I am trying to adjust surfaces, lines, and points.   When I try to "Modify-->Move To-->Point"   it tells me:

"Solid Point 2731 cannot be moved."  or curve can't be moved.   I have been able to split surfaces and delete.  

Any ideas why this is a problem or how to get around it?

Thanks

8 REPLIES

Re: Can't move geometry

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Try the following:

1. Copy the geometry and paste in the same location. (Geometry -> Copy)

2. Move the copied geometry

3. Delete the geometry that you don't need.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have had some luck doing that in the past....but not this time. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Please send me the FEMAP .modfem and I'll figure this out for you....

sherman dot mark at siemens dot com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Might it make a difference between importing an iges or a step file?

Phenom
Phenom
There appear to be a couple of separate questions here, but as for moving a complete surface, I suggest you try moving the "solid", not the surface. Even though these might seem as though they should be the same things, they aren't quite - and if you have two surfaces in the same place and you are trying to select the one which is not part of a larger solid, it is much easier to decipher which one is correct by selecting as a solid. If you happened to try to move the surface which belongs to the larger solid, that is likely to fail.

Also, there are quite a few topology restrictions on how points of solids can be moved around - not every option is achievable.

Finally, as a very long shot, is the geometry within the 500 unit parasolid cube? ie. is the coordinate of the solid point which is most distant from the model origin smaller than 250 times the Solid Geometry Scale Factor in File -> Preferences -> Geometry. And if you List -> Geometry -> Solid, is the listed scale factor the same as the File Preference?

Creator
Creator

In addition to the above,..

I just happened to experience the same yesterday. After importing an iges files with only curves, I couldn't move any of them. It turned out, that each curve was also a solid. So I couldn't move the curves, but I could move the solids though, of course (and with them the curves). Modifying the curves by breaking and partly deleting them was also not possible, not until I exploded the solids first.

Regards,

Chris

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you send me a representative IGES file?  I'd like to do some quick testing.  There is a chance that there are curves being loaded into FEMAP as wire bodies.  We don't "officially" support wire bodies, except for import/export and more importantly for meshing.  We found in the past that certain complex splines could not be properly represented with the FEMAP B-Spline, therefore leaving the curve as a Parasolid wire body made it possible to mesh some crazy helix type curves.  Once in as wires, Geometry - Solid - Cleanup can convert them to FEMAP curves, where the points can moved easily.  One quick sample file will let me know what's going on and I'll report back here in the community.

sherman dot mark at siemens dot com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks.   I checked this and does not appear to be it.   If I could simply move some solids around and use extend, I would do it, but it is somewhat complicated geometry.    Weldments.

Surfaces to stitch/trim etc.Surfaces to stitch/trim etc.