Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charting and how to do it

Creator
Creator

Hi guys,

Ive progressed with FEmap alot recently and now want to move into charting.

For example I have a structure that is loaded and a curve at the base.

The stress along the curve changes greatly. I would like to plot this.

For example

x axis = element/node position along some curve

y axis = stress value at that point.

Ive not got anywhere on this so far.

Cheers

Brett

7 REPLIES

Re: Charting and how to do it

Creator
Creator

Hi all,

Guessing by the number of views vs replies this may not be possible?

Brett

Creator
Creator

Hi Brett,

Seems to be possible. Already checked the Help files ?  : section 7.2.4  Tools, Charting 

Or maybe try the Femap  Example "Using Post-Processing", there is shown how to generate an XY plot.

Regards,

Chris

Creator
Creator

Thanks Chris,

I've made groups of elements and them used the group to do the plot.

Seems to be a good first step.

The element IDs still arrange themselves according to ID number as opposed to relative position along an entity. 

It also doesnt seem to like using cylindrical coordinates.

Back to the drawing board.

Brett

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Brett,

I am sure that charting in FEMAP will be improved in the near future, the FEMAP guys are rewritten all the postprocessing portion of FEMAP and when the POWER GRAPHICS will be finished then we will see great improvements in many aspect of postprocessing in FEMAP, one will be that "simply task" like generating an XYPlots of the vonMises Nodal Stress result along a curve, in the future I am sure that all you will need is pick the curve and all will be done, automatically.

But for now, well, this is a little tricky, excessively complex for novice users, but once you understand the process you will realize the power of FEMAP. Here you are ONE-WAY (you can have others, this is the good of FEMAP) to make plots of results in curves:

• Plot the vonMises nodal stress results in FEMAP.
  • Open the Data Table (remember to Unlock the data table!!).
  • In the SELECTOR ENTITY chose NODE.
  • In the SELECTOR MODE activate SELECT MULTIPLE.
  • In the SELECTOR ACTIONS choose DIALOG, then you need to select all nodes where you want to generate the XYPLOT. Simply choose METHOD > ON CURVES and pick the curve or curves you like and FEMAP will select all nodes there (or alternatively enter a GROUP if you have a group of nodes created previously).
  • Press OK and you will have your DATA TABLE filled with plenty of results.

data-table1.png

• Don't panic, all you need is "pair of results". Click to the right of the icon "SHOW/HIDE COLUMNS" and open the menu, select UPDATE MULTIPLE COLUMNS, you will see something like this, will all the names of active columns. Your target column is OUT-NODAL-CONTOUR, there you have the nodal vonMises stress value, the same that you have in the screen if you pick a node and ask for the nodal stress result using SHOW TOOLTIPS. This is exactly the value you want to plot in your XYPLOT chart, this should be your "Y" value of the chart.

data-table-out-nodal-countour.png

• Then UNSELECT all results and select the PAIR of results you want to plot. For instance, in my case I want to order the X-axis of the XYPLOT using the global Z axis, ie, "Z-Def" (if you have created a local coordinate system, active it, and select the axis you want, for instance "Z_Act"):

data-table-out-nodal-countour-detail.png

• Click OK and you will see in the DATA TABLE the data you were looking for: a PAIR of values with distance & vonMises stress, OK?.

data-table-out-nodal-countour-filterZ.png

• Next click in the second icon of the DATA TABLE to perform a COPY TO CLIPBOARD.
  • Create a new functions using command MODEL > FUNCTIONS > NEW, and click in PASTE FROM CLIPBOARD and here you are your data, ready to plot. Fill the TITLE and SAVE WITH OK.

data-table-out-nodal-countour-function.png

And finally, in the MODEL INFO tree, under FUNCTIONS click with right mouse button (RMB) on top of the newly created function and select SHOW, you will see automatically your function plotted in the CHARTING window, OK?.

data-table-out-nodal-countour-charting.png

Enjoy!.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Blas Molero, thanks for your answer. By repeating your actions sometimes the menu COLUMNS TO SHOW missing the point What actions should be executed so that it appears?OUT-NODAL-CONTOUR.gif

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

If you plot NODAL (not elemental) results, then you will see the colum "OUT-Nodal-Contour":

nodal-stress-results.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Charting doesn't need much a rocket science or an extra talent,I appreciate your concern about it.If you really want a comand over it then please wathc a few videos of it and then take a first step to it.Please make use of the internet and go for online tutorials provided for drawing innovative charts like pie chart,javascript graph,lie chart,bar chart,3d charts even with a better high definition.