Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charting based on element position

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I have a bunch of CBUSH elements in a grid connecting to shell plates. I have just shown the CBUSH grid below without the plates.

07.PNG

I want to plot the Bush TX & TY Forces of elements from one end to another. For ex: I would want to plot TX forces of all elements in the center horizontal row based on position i.e. from one end to another. I would want then to export the list along with values to an Excel spreadsheet or similar format.

I tried capturing elements in Data Table but the position does not get acquired and hence no way of sorting out the elements list by position.

As far as I know, there is no option of defining a path in Femap and capturing the values and plotting it.

I would appreciate if an experienced user can guide me on how to achieve the above.

Thx

4 REPLIES

Re: Charting based on element position

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Your best bet may be to use an old Nastran 4 Windows tool...

List...Destination...

List_01.png

This creates a *.lst file where you designate.  The resulting file is essentially just the text contained within the messages window whenever you do a List command.

Specific Steps

• Set the *.lst file location and name using List...Destination
  • Perform a List...Output...Standard...operation selecting elements for listing and the corresponding output

List_02.png

• Open the new *.lst file in excel using tab and space delimiters.  Be sure to set file type open to "All". Excel by default does not "see" *.lst files.

List_03.png

List_04.png

Since you want the data sorted on coordinate, you'll need to somehow get that data into the listing.  I can think of two (2) options:

- Renumber your elements based on x, y coordinates

- Edit / create a custom output listing format that contains x and y coordinates, then sort in excel

Personally I think the custom re-numbering is your best bet.  Then you can use the old Aerospace numbering trick where digits correspond to location (even = RH, odd = LH, 3rd digit = frame number, etc

element number = xxyy

XX = column number

YY = row number

Want everything in column 10?.   List...Output...Standard...Elements 1001-1099.

Quick hint:  You can change the numbering increment as part of the renumbering dialog (it doesn't always need to be by 1 digit...can by by 10's, 52's, etc.) or by full offsets (1-100 to 1001-1100)

You may also want to explore creating your own custom format (especially if you'll do this frequently).  I *think* once you have a custom format, then you can use the Data Table.

Here's a custom format we use for beam elements...just give us combined stress:

List_05.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply. The above sounds like an exceedingly complicated procedure. 

I was hoping that there is a procedure in Data Tables which I may be not aware of and just export the values to Excel and/or use it to create a function and then chart it. 

Femap definitely needs to incorporate the path feature. 

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

Assuming I'm understanding your request correctly, there is an easier way.

Take this sample model:

cbush_plot_01_plate.png

Start by creating a group of the CBUSH elements you want to plot. If you want to plot all the CBUSH elements in the model, you can skip this step. 

Next, in the charting pane, create a new data series and select the "vs. Entity" pane (default).

• To plot vs position, you'll want to change the "X Axis Values" to "Position" and choose if it's plotted against the bush X, Y or Z value
  • Select a CBUSH output quantity
  • Limit the entities to the group created (if you created it in the last step)

cbush_plot_03_dialog.png

You'll get a plot similar to this:

cbush_plot_04_plot.png

Should you want to export that data anywhere, you can

• Click on the copy dropdown in the charting toolbar and copy the chart values or
  • Right click on a data series and copy the data to the clipboard or
  • List->Output->Chart Data Series and send the data to the message window

Pioneer
Pioneer
^^ Beautiful! Thanks a ton. That is exactly what I was looking for.