Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Two Femap models

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I need to import an orphan mesh in to an existing Femap model. How do I do it? I understand one way is to import the oprhan mesh in to another Femap session/model and use File->Merge command to import the newer Femap model in to the first/original one. 

Is there an alternate way to just import a dat/bdf file directly in to the original Femap model with Femap automatically offsetting/renumbering the newer nodes, elements, property & material cards etc? 

4 REPLIES

Re: Combining Two Femap models

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
The File > Import > Analysis Model command does not offer an option to offset or renumber.

I strongly recommend using the File > Merge command instead as you can either automatically renumber of control the renumbering of entities. You also have the option to automatically generate a group of the imported model and/or transform the model from one CSys to another.
Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

I like to renumber all FEA items in each model to a specific numbering system, for example

Model 1, nodes, element, properties, etc  renumbered to 1 to 100000.

Model 2, renumbered 100001 to 200000.  

Then write out model 2 to BDF, when read into Model1. 

Then you can merge nodes as you need and define which nodes are to keep to merge out.

Make it easy to make seperate group of specific areas of an assmely to write out seperate bdf(s) for analysis.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The workaround is to use the Modify > Renumber All > command in both models before merging, or renumber the model you are merging into than use the renumbering options in the File > Merge command.  Also, the File > Merge command can automatically generate a Group of the merged entities upon merging.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

I like the new renumber option you guys added..  I wish that was in FEMAP about version 6, when I was doing all the modal test correllations on ISS Airlock module and Racks..  Would have save me a lot of time Renumber Node, Renumber Elements, Renumber Properties, etc.....