cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining a bunch of Solid Elements against Rotation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a stack of plates which are modelled with solid & solid laminate elements. Even though the load is axial, due to laminate properties, there is some bending in the stack. In a real scenario, we don't expect the stack to bend (may the laminate will and the aim is to desing the joint in such a way that bending is minimal but that is way down the line) and hence I applied Rotation X constraint. Later I realized that solid elements have only 3 DOF...TX, TY & TZ.

Is there an alternate way of preventing the bottom plate of the stack from bending i.e rotation?

3 REPLIES

Re: Constraining a bunch of Solid Elements against Rotation

Pioneer
Pioneer
You can use zero thickness shell embedded on solid elements (common nodes). This approach will let you constrain rotations. Sounds complicated, but its not. This approach is used all the time.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

KR,

A very interesting solution. It does sound tedious if not complicated. As of now, the process in my mind thinks of creating Quad element manually by selecting 4 nodes and it may turn out to be tedious if I have a huge model. Any better way of creating a lot of shell elements using existing nodes?

BTW, for my issue, I had 3 nodes through the thickness. I constrained the middle row of nodes in TZ direction and it provided the expected results. No out of plane rotations but the end nodes were free to displace along Z direction due to Poisson's Ratio.

Thansk for your response. I appreciate your help.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Look under Mesh/Edge Members; it allows you to create shell elements from the faces of solids as well as beams at the edges of shells.

Joe