Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact problem involving dropping a hyperelastic material onto a rigid plate.

N/A
Hey everyone

I'm doing a problem involving dropping a hyperelastic material onto a rigid plate. I don't have much experience with FEA, and while I've worked through the examples in help, there are still many things I'm not sure about.

Is there some way of assigning a mass to a solid in FEMAP? This would help a lot in impact calculations.
What type of analysis should I do for this problem, and how should I set it up?
What exactly is slideline contact, and can I use it? I can't seem to find anything about it online.

Any help you can give would be appreciated, in the mean time I'll keep googling.

Matthew
1 REPLY

Re: Contact problem involving dropping a hyperelastic material onto a rigid plate.

Innovator
Innovator
Dear Mathew,
If you are a beginner of FEA, then forgot at all to run an advanced nonlinear dynamic analysis, first you need to understand the basic running linar static problems (SOL101), a good starting point are the examples of BOOK OF EXAMPLES manual of FEMAP & NX NASTRAN. Please note the FEMAP 45 DAY TRIAL LICENSE do not include the ADVANCED NONLINEAR (SOL601/701) MODULE, only includes the BASIC NONLINEAR (SOL106) MODULE where surface-to-surface contact is not supported, only slide-line contact is available, as well as explicit contact CGAP node-to-node elememts.
EXAMPLE 26: Gap Contact - Cantilever Beam A cantilever beams with a tubular cross section will be used to demonstrate Gap Contact found in Nonlinear Static Analysis. The beam will have one end fixed, and the free end will be loaded with a Force. During the analysis, the deformation of the model will cause the gap to close creating contact. Contact in analysis almost always signals the use of a nonlinear solution. This example will use the Nonlinear Static solving capability of NX Nastran.

EXAMPLE 28: Slide Line Contact - Hyperelastic Seals Two semicircular seals are being pressed together at a given enforced displacement. The seals are the same size and shape and the rounded sides of the seals will come into contact with one another. The seals are made of a hyperelastic material and the model allows the use of plane strain elements for analysis. Contact between the rounded sides of each seal will be modeled using Slide Line Contact. Slide line contact differs from Gap contact in that is not simply a point-to-point or node-to-node representation of contact, but a 2-D relationship between a set of Master nodes and a set of Slave Nodes. This exam­ple will use the Nonlinear Static solving capability of NX Nastran.
EXAMPLE 29: 3-D Contact - Plastic Clip and Base
A plastic clip made of solid elements will come into contact with a fixed base and move through a range of motion based on enforced displacements using slide line contact.

The mass of a solid is defined via the DENSITY material property. Before meshing a solid you must to prescribe attributes to solid using "Mesh > Mesh Contrl > Attributes to Solid" where you will assign a solid element property + correspondiing material property.
Best regards,
Blas.