Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert mesh to surface!!!

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Is it possible to convert meshe elements to surfaces (in a large model) automatically?!

Thanks,

Aero1

6 REPLIES

Re: Convert mesh to surface!!!

Legend
Legend

Hello Aero1,

I had the same question a few months ago. I haven't found any ready solution that will fit. We decided to create an in-house tool. There were two problems:

1) You don't want to convert each element but instead, convert parts. It required grouping elements into parts.

2) Grouping should take into account mesh connectivity (e.g. stiffeners on walls). 

After solving these problems we have a tool. It requires performing some cleanup afterward (we are still working to improve that):

conversion.png

If this is what you are looking for, let me know maybe our company can assist you with conversion.

Yarko

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have you tried the surface from mesh tool in geometry creation?

Go to Geometry/Surface/From Mesh

surface from mesh-.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes I did but I keep getting the following error:

Create Surface From Mesh
32967 Element(s) Selected...
Non-plate elements removed from selection...
Non-manifold shell mesh not supported, detected near node 200148.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Yarko,

Thanks for your reply and for offering help. The way you have described is exactly how I'm creating the geometries from mesh,... but I thought there might be a better (easier) way,...

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Aero1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I have created an API that may be helpful for you.  It is still in a beta version, but it may be suitable. 

This utilizes the Surface From Mesh option in Femap, but improves upon it by letting you create a surface from ANY element face.

For best results, do not attempt to create highly curved surfaces with this tool.  Rather, use the other geometry featurs such as sweeping surfaces and extruding to node for fillets and more curved surfaces.

SurfaceFromMesh.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is great, thanks for sharing it.

Aero1