Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to solid and add fillets

Builder
Builder

Hi There,

Can any one please help me to fillet the highlighted curves? Why program doesn't allow me to do that? Do I need to convert this to solid first? Why and how?

Thank you,

Aero1

6 REPLIES

Re: Convert to solid and add fillets

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Aero1,

To know what geometry you have simply do "Modify > Color > Solid > Method =ALL" and select a color and click in RANDOM > OK, this way you can identify easily BY COLOR the geometry parts of your assembly. Here the part you like to round is the one "72..Stitched Body". Please note the ICON under Geometry tree indicating that the geometry is a body sheet, not a SOLID body.

Engine2Pylon-fig1.png

In fact, if I perform a "GEOMETRY > SOLID  > CLEANUP" activating ALL the four options I get the following in the message area:

Solid Cleanup
1 Solid(s) Selected...
Inconsistency between Surfaces 340 and 341 near (7.060471, -0.558552, -16.77846).
Inconsistency between Surfaces 340 and 347 near (7.060471, -0.558552, -16.77846).
Curves 9540 and 9533 touch at (7.209382, -0.885301, -18.18385).
Inconsistency between Surfaces 342 and 346 near (7.270252, -0.716572, -16.48385).
Inconsistency between Surfaces 342 and 347 near (7.031409, -0.776579, -17.05841).
Inconsistency between Surfaces 343 and 347 near (6.910213, -0.687418, -18.22596).
Solid 72 failed Geometry Checking

This means that the geometry is not a solid. In fact, inspecting we see large gaps in geometry that "GEOMETRY > SOLID > STITCH" command can not solve properly. You need

Engine2Pylon-fig2.png

I suggest to delete this surface, and create a new one using command "Geometry > Boundary Surface > From Curves". Next use command "Geometry > Surface > Convert" toconvert the boundary surface in Parasolid surface.

Engine2Pylon-fig3.png

Also, investigating the stitched body I discover you have two surfaces, then impossible to create a solid body. Simply delete one using "Delete > Geometry > Surface".

Engine2Pylon-fig4.png

Next use command "Geometry > Solid > Stitch", select the surfaces properly and use a stitched tolerance of say 1e-4, and  .... success!!. You have a properly stitched solid body. Now you can round any edge you like using "GEOMETRY > SOLID > FILLET", for instance:

Engine2Pylon-fig5.png

Enjoy!.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Builder
Builder

Blas,

Is there a command that can find/highlight all overlapping curves, point, and surfaces in the model?

When I get an error in the message box (for example "Curve 280 has no facets") how can I locate that specific object (curve 280)? Is there command like search or filter in Femap?

Thank  you,

Aero1

Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Aero1,

A trick is to plot the label of surfaces, curves, points, etc.. if two labels are overlapped then it is easy to see it. Also if you want to see any entity in the screen you have command "Window > Show entities" that give you the option to plot labels as well.

Another trick regarding the message "Curve/Surface xxx has no facets" is to plot all entities in the screen clicking the "Reset ALL Visibily Options" icon (just below the Model Info tree) and zoom around the (0,0,0) and issue command "Delete > Geometry > Solids" and make a zoom around the (0,0,0) and you will see that some solid entities are selected. Simply delete them and nexy issue command "File > Rebuild" and you will see that the error dissappear.

It seems that FEMAP put together around the (0,0,0) coordinate all invalid entities with no facets. You can realize of them simply activating labels for surfaces, curves, etc.. you will see all together located in the (0,0,0). But is important you delete solids, not surfaces, curves, etc.. this way you delete also curves, points, etc.. belonging to solids.

The use of "FILE > REBUILD" command is critical, use it regularly during the FEMAP session, this way you can detect/fix invalid geometry comming from CAD systems.

Also use command "GEOMETRY > SOLID > CLEANUP" over ALL bodies just after importing any CAD model in FEMAP activating the four options, this way FEMAP will try to clean all solid bodies and detect/fix any error in geometry.

solid-cleanup.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Builder
Builder

Thanks Blas,

Beside the good methods you have mentioned, I found "Geometry->Automatic Connection" tool useful as well.

But I still haven't figured out how to find a specific surface, node or element between thousands of objects (based on their ID#)?

Another question, (maybe I should discuss this in a new message), how can I hide all objects and just keep the one that I suppose to work on? (should I put the one I need in a separate layer and turn off the other layers)?

Regards,

Aero1

Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Aero1,

1.- Well, I told you before, use command "Window > Show Entities", this is valid method for any entity (surface, element, etc..), you only need to know the ID, then the entity will be highlighted in the screen.You can use many tricks in FEMAP, for instance the command "Delete > Geometry > Surface" allows you to enter the ID of the surface + click in "more" and then click in the HighLight icon and the entity will be highlighted in the screen.... the same for curves, elements, etc..

But to find entities in the full model when you dont know the ID you can use the most powerful tool of FEMAP: the ENTITY LOCATOR in the MESHING TOOLBOX !!.This is really powerful, you can "scan" your FEMAP model and search for any entity (curves, surfaces or elements) like "Short Edges", or "Adjacent Edges" as you requested, enjoy!.

meshing-toolbox-entity-locator.png

2.- To Isolate objects my preferred method is you use command "MODIFY > LAYER > SOLID" and move it to the layer yo like, from now in advance you can "play" with the object and make the modificatiosn you like, all will remains in the active layer.

Also, play with the SELECT toolbar, this will allow you to Hide/Show, etc.. any entity you like.

Best regards,

Blas.

Builder
Builder

Perfect, got it now.

Thank you.