Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creation of Free Edge

Creator
Creator

Hello everyone

I am trying to simulate crack propagation on a plate using API. Part of the code is the creation of free edge (crack). In order to create the crack, I am trying to use the Unzip command.

BUT it doesn’t work as I want it to. At every step of the propagation new elements must separate. The whole project is going to be automated. So it is not possible, at every step to choose these new elements and their nodes. The easiest (I believe) way is to select at the beginning of the propagation, the “surface” which all elements of the plate are going to be attached to it, and the curve (basically the crack), which are placed the nodes that I want to unzip.

Unfortunately the Unzip command doesn’t work like that, because if I select a number of elements, both sides of the crack, the command can’t (of course) unzip them.

Does anyone know, how I can create free edge without the unzip command,or an API (to be honest it is preferable) which can do this free edge with or without unzip????

Thank you very much in advanced

Regards

Antonis

2 REPLIES

Re: Creation of Free Edge

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For the Unzip command, you only select the elements on one side, and it retains the nodes on those elements and creates new nodes on the elements that share the coincident nodes.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Re: Creation of Free Edge

Creator
Creator
Chip Fricke thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I know that  for the Unzip command you only select the elements on one side.

I was wondering if there is another way to create free edge, or if there is an API that can produce that free edge.

Again thank you very much

Best Regards

Antonis