Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with includes

Pioneer
Pioneer

When working with big models I find it easier to work with the INCLUDE command (to insert external files into the input analysis file) in such a way to split it in different subsystems.

Is there a way to generate directly from Femap an analysis input file which automatically split the model in subsystems (maybe using groups)  and put them togheter using the INCLUDE command?

And once I have run the analysis, how do I import the analysis file back to Femap to visualize the results? Do I have to import each included file before importing the actual analysis file?

Thank you

Regards

4 REPLIES

Re: Dealing with includes

Legend
Legend

Hi Olgola,

I prefer dealing with INCLUDE command too when I perform dynamic analysis. You can use as many INCLUDE commands as you want (for FE data per subsystem and also for load cases, boundary conditions when you deal with a big model...)

You have to create an analysis for each group and then do Analysis / Export as .dat for each.

After runing the analysis you can create a new femap database and then drop the "global" .dat file where all include commands exist and then the entire model will be imported. And then import your results file to match the Elements / Nodes IDs.

Seifeddine Naffoussi

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

A good tip to know is that FEMAP can automatically create groups by Include when importing. Go to File > Interfaces > check "Crate Groups from INCLUDE files"

Then here's an API which exports your model by Group. I wrote this a while back, it could probably be upgraded.

Basically for each group:

- it makes FEMAP export the group

It uses the group's name name for the file, minus the path prefix and the extension

- then it opens the file created and deletes the first lines and the last "ENDDATA" line. So you need to have writing rights in the directiry you specify in the beginning

AP

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you very much for the API.

Just one question, how do I use it?

I tried adding it in the Custom tools list, but there it asks for othe types of files (like .exe) not .txt

Phenom
Phenom

Modify the extension to ".BAS" (basic script)

Sorry I have a habit of renaming macros to ".txt" because many antivirus software block .BAS attachments.