cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting 2D elements in a 3D Mesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a 3D mesh which was extruded from 2D elements. I unchecked the "Delete Original Elements" option in the extrude dialog box and thus I have a 2D mesh lying on top of a 3D mesh. I wish to delete the 2D elements from 3D mesh. Now, I chose "By Shape" in the delete dialog box and was able to accomplish. My understanding is that by the above operation, all 2D shaped elements in the entire model gets deleted. What if I want only specific number of 2D elements lets say in a particular layer that needs to be deleted. I am sure there is a way to handle the above in Femap but so far I am unable to figure it out. 

2 REPLIES

Re: Deleting 2D elements in a 3D Mesh

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I recommend you turn off all but 2D elements in the Model Info pane and box, circle, or polygon select the elements you want to delete.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Re: Deleting 2D elements in a 3D Mesh

Experimenter
Experimenter

First of all from Visibility menu (ctrl+Q by default) you can choose the type / shape of elements you want to display. then you can make groups to add only the elements from a layer / property / etc..
After you check if the elements from the group are the elements you want to delete you can easily delete all elements from the group. 

Let me know if you have any questions regarding operations with groups.