Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different mesh size on edges and within face itself

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I'd like to set the mesh size within a face to a lower value (i.e. larger elements), with the edges remaining high-density (at the joints).

Is this possible in FEMAP? The tool I've tried which seems to be the right one (mesh size on face) just sets the mesh size on all edges of the face. I want independent control over the target mesh size within the face and on the edges. In the image below, I'd like the mesh to be big within the bays between curves, and remain fine on the curves themselves.

Unbenannt.png

I'd rather not have to etch squares inside each bay to control the mesh size therein.

3 REPLIES

Re: Different mesh size on edges and within face itself

Phenom
Phenom
The "Growth Factor" when you use Mesh -> Mesh Control -> Size on Surface affects this.... however, it only seems to have much effect for triangular mesh, which is probably not what you want. When the shape of the geometry allows Femap to produce "very square" elements, it will often preference that over other controls.

Genius
Genius

I think I will have to project some curves within the open bays in order to control the mesh therein. Too bad. For what it's worth, most packages don't handle this well.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Femap version 11.3 extends internal element growth for quad meshes. The 11.3 release is imminent and will be available for download from the GTAC site on Monday May 2nd.

QuadMeshGrowth_01.jpg