Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic rotate around cursor location not working (on laptop)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I really welcome the dynamic rotate around cursor location feature for FEMAP v 11.3 and newer, this is found from File->Preferences->User interface. However for me the feature doesn't work. I use a  laptop with Quadro M1000M graphic card. For my collegue with a workstation and NVIDIA Quadro K2000 graphic card it works fine. Does anyone have a solution or explination to this?

-Kris

8 REPLIES

Re: Dynamic rotate around cursor location not working (on laptop)

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Kris,

I am sorry that is not working for you at the moment.

One of my colleagues has a Dell Precision 7510 with NVIDIA M1000M and the rotate about cursor works for him. He has driver version 368.39. What driver do you have?

One of the issues with current laptops is that many have two graphics systems: an integrated Intel one and in your case an NVIDIA one. The Intel one is much lower powered and is often set up to run when running the laptop on battery. Some drivers now recognize the exe running and switch automatically.

We need to make sure which graphics card you are using. If you open the NVIDIA Control Panel, and go to the "Manage 3D Settings" in the tree, you should have a drop down menu in the middle of the dialog with the options:

1) Auto-Select

2) High-performance NVIDIA processor

3) Integrated graphics

Make sure you have the High-performance NVIDIA processor selected.

Run Femap and in the /File/Preferences... Graphics Tab, Set debug messages to all and switch on OpenGL errors. OK out of preferences. Exit Femap and restart. Scroll up in the messages window. You should see something similar to:

Vendor   = NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer = Quadro K3100M/PCIe/SSE2
Version  = 4.5.0 NVIDIA 364.72
Min Line Width = 1
Max Line Width = 10
Your card supports OpenGL 4.5
Performance Graphics is enabled

What text do you see?

Go into preferences again and switch off the debug messages (but leave on the OpenGL error messages), open your model and try to rotate about cursor location - do you see any OpenGL errors?

Bill

Femap Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer. I checked the items you listed and in the process updated to the latest NVIDIA driver. The graphics card info now reads:

Vendor = NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer = Quadro M1000M/PCIe/SSE2

Version = 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.86

Min Line Width = 1

Max Line Width = 10

Your card supports OpenGL 4.5

Performance Graphics is enabled

However the dynamic rotate around cursor still does'nt work. Also my collegues with the same or similar laptops (Lenovo P50) experience the same problem.

-Kris

Kris,

Do you get any OpenGL errors when you switch them on in /File/Preferences... Graphics Tab?

Please go into the graphics preferences, switch on OpenGL errors and set debug messages to all. Exit Femap, restart femap and load your model and try to do rotate about mouse location. Copy all the contents of the message region (right mouse - select all and right mouse copy) and send those - there may be lines with file names etc you may want to replace with "XXXX". Instead of posting them here, you could file a PR with GTAC and mark it as send to Bill in Femap development.

Bill

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Bill,

Could you still clarify what you mean by "file a PR with GTAC"?

-Kris

Kris,

Sorry for using acronyms. PR is a problem report and GTAC is our customer support (Global Technical Access Center). In reality, users actually trigger IR's (Incident reports) and then these can become PR (Problem Report) or ER (Enhancement requests) internally.

Inside Femap, if you select the Help Menu, there is a sub menu called technical support. If you have a webkey account already, you can file an incident report. Alternativaly, you can go to the Technical Support Web page (from the technical support sub menu) and get the phone number for support. When providing any information, please mention that you have been communicationg with me (BIll in Femap Development) and I  would like the PR forwarded to me.

Bill

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Bill,

I made the IR through our service provider. Note also that I'm using a 3DConnexion SpaceMousePro mouse. For my collegue with the same laptop who doese't use a 3D mouse the feature works.

-Kris

Kris,

The spaceball is why it is not working. Does it work for you with the mouse? When you use the mouse, you press the left mouse button (or middle). At that point in time, the location of the mouse is taken and used to calculate the point on the model that is used to rotate about. With the spaceball, there is no corresponding "mouse click" to get that location so spaceball does not work with rotate or zoom about screen location.

Bill

Pioneer
Pioneer

It doesn't work with the normal mouse for me either. I disconnected the spacemouse and restarted FEMAP but nothing changed.

-Kris