Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier way to apply load/Force on Solid Elements?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have created solid elements by extruding a 2D mesh. I wanted to know if there is a way I can enter total load information in Femap and it will automatically distribute it equally to different nodes.

Face.png

I want to apply a load of 20,000 lbs on the thin face (along Y global direction) in the above image. I can manually divide the total load by the total number of nodes and apply it as nodal force in Femap, but for complicated 3D structures, the above procedure becomes tedious.

Also, I realize that I can apply the total load to the geometry i.e. surface and Femap will automatically assign equal force per node, but in cases like above, where 3D elements were generated from a 2D mesh, there is no association between original geometry and 3D mesh.

Any suggestions folks?

EDIT: I even tried Nodal on Face but I realized that I can't select more than one Elemental Face at a time. So the question still remains open folks.

3 REPLIES

Re: Easier way to apply load/Force on Solid Elements?

Pioneer
Pioneer
How about creating an RBE common all the nodes on the face and applying your load to the master/independent node?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi KR,
That is a definitely one way. Thanks for your response.

But I will say this and may not fly well on this forum, but Femap needs an option of applying Total Load i.e. Femap should divide the total specified load equally on to the number of selected nodes. This option exists in Patran and is extremely helpful.

May be this can be incorporated in V12...just a suggestion.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Do you have geometry in your model? If you do you can use "Solid Face loading using equation" API in your custom tools - Load processing.