Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Element Quality Checks for separate layers?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I have a project (continuation of the earlier one posted here) in which I have created several layers. When I want to check the element quality using Meshing Tool Box icon 'Surface Mesh Quality' of a selected layer, the results/plot of the entire model comes up i.e. all the layers. It is very challenging to find out which ones are bad in the above scenario. Is there an option where I can just check the element quality of selected layer or selected set of elements instead of the whole model?

Thx

8 REPLIES

Re: Element Quality Checks for separate layers?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Currently there is no way to have the Meshing Toolbox Quality display limit itself to only elements on the visible layers. It will limit based on the Group(s) being displayed, but not the Layers.  So, for now, you would have to create Groups. This will be updated in the next FEMAP release to automatically take into account Layers, Groups and other Visibility controls.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Even with groups, the Surface Mesh Quality function is displaying the whole model rather than the active/visible group. When I mean the whole model, it displays the entire mesh set along with the elements failed. Makes it very hard to locate failed elements visually.

I think with Locator -> Elements option, I am able to perform element checks without the whole model being displayed. (Still the software displays only elements which have failed from the entire model rather than displaying the entire mesh like in Surface Mesh Quality function

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear VN1981,

For Element Quality Check I suggest to use command TOOLS > CHECK > ELEMENT QUALITY, you will be able to check element quality not only for 2-D elements (this is a severe limitation of the current Meshing Toolbox > Surface Mesh Quality command) but also for 3-D solid elements. And what is more important: you can perform the element quality check  specially for the NX Nastran solver, this means that if you are using the FEMAP with NX Nastran bundle you will have a direct way to know in advance if your FEMAP model will pass or not the element quality imposed by NX NASTRAN before solving your model, then no more surprises!!. Of course, with this command you can use METHOD = LAYER, or simply click the SHIFT key and draw a rectangle to select all the elements of the screen of your active layer.

check-element-quality-new.png

You will receive a listing that will tell you the element quality of your mesh:

Check Element Quality
89547 Element(s) Selected...
No Elements Outside of Maximum Allowable Value.

Quality Check               Number Failed      Worst Value
      Quad Skew                          0            39.9278
      Quad Taper                         0            0.40879
      Quad Warp                          0            0.02145
      Quad IAMin                         0            33.6901
      Quad IAMax                         0             146.31
      Tria Skew                          0            24.3045
      Tria IAMax                         0                90.
      Hex AR                             0             10.272
      Hex DETJ                           0            0.02366
      Hex Warp                           0            0.96073

0 Elements Failed out of 89430 Checked.

To plot element quality in detail use the command VIEW > ADVANCED POST > CONTOUR MODEL DATA and select the desired ELEMET QUALITY check indicator. Make sure to activate the option ALLOW LABELS, this way you will able to see in the screen where is the MAX/MIN values.

contour-model-data-element-quality-nxnastran.png

This is the typical plot using MODEL DATA COUNTOUR, more "professional" and with more capabilities than using the meshing toolbox > surface mesh quality. Also, if you have created groups, the ELEMENT QUALITY result plot will be limited to the elements of the ACTIVE group only, ok?.

contour-model-data-element-quality2.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

Whoa! Great post Blas...thanks so much for that pointing to me that option and providng details of the procedure.

Actually, I had used Tools -> Check -> Element Quality but it gave me a text output of the elements failed and it kinda put me off since I prefer a graphical/visual plot. But thanks for explaining on how to convert the above text in to plot based output.

Will try to use it in future.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I just wanted to post one more option to perform elemental quality checks graphically. Using Tool->Check->Element Quality, after selecting list of elements that need checking, clicking on show will present a visual representation (arrows) of the elements which have failed.

A picture to illustrate the above...

Untitled.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there any sepcific option that needs to be turned ON for them arrow marks which indicates the location of failed elements to show? I am unable to obtain arrow marks but clicking on Show button does highlight failed elements. My model isn't particularly large, but a feature like those arrow marks certainly helps to locate failed elements much quicker.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

Simply activating "Show Normals" and "Show Labels" will plot an Arrow and Label in the failed elements after hitting SHOW in the CHECK ELEMENT QUALITY command.

SHOW-NORMALS.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Blas.

That totally worked. Duh...should have thought of it.