Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Element Yielded Area Contour (Nonlinear)

Genius
Genius

Is there a way (aside from contouring von Mises stress) to contour which elements have yielded throughout a nonlinear analysis in FEMAP? Contouring von Mises stress seems a bit innacurate, as I have elements which are slightly (1 or 2 MPa) under Sy = 355 MPa which are clearly within the yielded region.

Unbenannt.png

3 REPLIES

Re: Element Yielded Area Contour (Nonlinear)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I didn't quite understand your question entirely, but if you are asking is there a way in Femap to plot only elements whose stress values are above a certain criteria (in your case Fty i.e. Yield), then the answer is Yes. Use the Criteria method in post-processing under Contour-> Style->Criteria. There you should find an option to set limits. I have included a picture to illustrate the above.

Untitled.png

In my case, I have selected the method as "Above Max" and set the value as 1300. Only elements whose stress value is above 1300 is displayed by Femap. 

Similarly, you can set the limit value as Fty (or Sy) and plot only elements who Von Mises values exceed the criteria. 

Hope the above helps.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

f you've defined the nonlinear material using a Stress vs Strain curve, display a contour plot or a criteria plot of the Plastic Strain.  Any element that yields should have non-zero value for Plastic Strain as shown below.

2016-04-22_7-51-03.png2016-04-22_8-11-48.png

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Genius
Genius

This actually answers a question I posed a few days ago about transparency in contours. Very nice.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Femap-Discussion-Forum/Transparent-contour-limits-in...

Can you please post it there as well so that people googling this in the future can find it? I will accept it as an answer (currently unanswered) if you do. Thanks!