Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entities retaining old associations

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm having trouble in Femap with entities retaining associations from past lives, prior to renumber, updating properties/materials, etc.  File -> Rebuild does not fix the issue.  In the example provided, I'm trying to delete node 3500000. Attempting gives:

Delete Nodes
1 Node(s) Selected...
0 Node(s) Deleted. 1 NonDeletable Node(s) Skipped.

It looks like Femap (v11.2.1) believes there are 2 elements connected to this node, as shown in the message window.  When I try to find out which elements are using this node, List -> Model -> Element -> Using Node gives 2 elements, but neither element is actually using this node.

List Elements
2 Element(s) Selected...
Element 63694 - RIGID    ( Rigid )
                    Color 0      Layer 1         AttachTo 0       
 Independent Node   2018754   DOF 123456   Rigid Element          Thermal Expansion 0.464952
 Dependent Nodes
Element 63695 - RIGID    ( Rigid )
                    Color 0      Layer 1         AttachTo 0       
 Independent Node   39784     DOF 123456   Rigid Element          Thermal Expansion 0.464952
 Dependent Nodes

I'm having a similar issue trying to delete an obsolete property.  When trying, I get:

Delete a Property
0 Property(s) Deleted. 1 NonDeletable Property(s) Skipped.

List -> Property shows that no elements have that property ID.  I've also gone through each property to verify no other properties reference this property in the Bending or Transverse Shear stiffness options.  Even deleting this property from the Nastran .bdf file does not result in any errors or warnings. 

Is there any way to find out what reasons specifically certain entities can't be deleted?

5 REPLIES

Re: Entities retaining old associations

Experimenter
Experimenter
To add to this: both the node and the property are both deletable if I export a .bdf file, open a new model, and import that .bdf.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I know it is a lot to ask, but any chance you could send us the model?  Possibly simplified by deleting most everything around the node, but preferably keeping the two elements it thinks are using it?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Here's a pretty basic version of the file.  It turns out there are actually many properties I can't delete, and a few nodes I can't delete.

If it helps, I remember I was playing around with an API script that I created in order to create the RBE-CBUSH-RBE chains shown.  At some point, the RBE's accidentally had a Spring/Damper property applied to them, even though that doesn't make any practical sense.  I eventually ended up creating a dummy Rigid property and apply those to the RBE's, hopefully negating any effects it may have had by attaching a Spring/Damper property to it (mostly I did it so the color would match the correctly-created rigid elements).

Siemens Phenom

Matt,

The new Community layout seems to have stripped your attachment, can you e-mail it to me -

sherman dot mark at siemens dot com

Or, just send me an e-mail and I can send you a link to the Siemens File Exchange system where you can upload it.

Mark.

Siemens Phenom

The rigid elements in this model still reference node 3500000, this is why that node cannot be deleted. You have to be careful when using the API, you can insert data on database records that would not go there through normal FEMAP operations.  We will look at updating Rebuild to intelligently strip out superfluous data like this in the future.  For now, you can run this API to clean the extra node references of the Rigid elements in your model –

Rigid Element Node 1-19 cleanup -

Sub Main
    Dim App As femap.model
    Set App = feFemap()

Dim feElem As femap.Elem
    Set feElem = App.feElem

Dim j As Long

While feElem.Next = FE_OK
        If feElem.type = FET_L_RIGID Then
            For j = 1 To 19
                feElem.Node(j) = 0
            Next