Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FAQ: Femap 45-Day Free Trial

[ Edited ]
Q1a: The version of Femap I'm running appears to be node limited and will not let me save or run anything other than very small analyses?

Q1b: Femap runs, but I get the error, You are not authorized for this analysis in the Femap messages window when I try to run an analysis?

Q1c: Femap issues the following error every time I try to execute a command:

A1: The 45-day trial version does not have any node or geometry limits. Check the two points below if you are encountering such limits or authorization problems.

It's possible that your license file is missing or incorrectly named. Make sure that the license file is resident in the Femap install directory, and is called license.dat (without any hidden extensions).

It's possible that you are running Femap under the wrong licensing scheme (the Network Client option should be selected during installation). To fix this, run a file called go_network.bat in the Femap install directory (make sure that Femap is not running at the time). This will change the authorization dll from the 300-node demo version to the full unlimited version. You will not need a new license, your current one will still work.

Q2: When I start Femap I get the message, Security device not found?

A2: You are running Femap under the wrong licensing scheme (the Network Client option should be selected during installation). To fix this, run a file called go_network.bat in the Femap install directory (make sure that Femap is not running at the time). This will change the authorization dll from the Nodelocked Dongle version to the Network Client version. You will not need a new license, your current one will still work.

Q3: I didnt receive the license file?

A3: You should have received an email containing the license as an attachment. If you havent received any such email, check your spam filters to make sure that license email hasnt been inadvertently removed from your in-box. If you still cannot find it then send an email to al.robertson@siemens.com requesting another license.

Q4: I never received the software download links / the download links have expired?

A4: The software download links that were sent to you by email have a limited life and will expire after a short time. If you didnt receive the links, or didnt manage to download the software before they expired, send an email to al.robertson@siemens.com requesting new software download links.

Q5: Ive downloaded the software installation zip file, how do I install Femap?

A5: The installation of Femap is very straightforward. Once youve downloaded the installation zip file, unzip the contents to a temporary location and run the setup.exe file. You'll need to select the desired language and platform, and during installation, choose the Network Client licensing option. For detailed installation instructions, see the Installing Femap with NX Nastran Step by Step Instructions thread in the forum.

When the software has finished installing, copy the license file to the Femap install directory, and make sure its called license.dat. Note that some versions of Windows will try to append a .txt extension to the file, creating a file named license.dat.txt. When using Save As in Windows, be sure to change the Save as type to All Files (*.*), enter the filename license.dat and save the file in the same directory where Femap was installed.

Q6: The software failed to install?

A6: If the software failed to install properly, check the size of the downloaded installation zip file. If its less than 1,914,494,740 bytes in size then its likely that the internet connection was interrupted during the download leaving you with a truncated zip file. Try downloading the zipped software installation file again. If you no longer have the download links, or they have expired, send an email to al.robertson@siemens.com requesting new links.

Q7: I get the following error message: unable to open directory/yourfilename.log logfile for reading. Please check the file manually and confirm licensing?

A7: Check the following two points in relation to this error message:

Check that you have read/write privileges for the directory where you are running the analysis.

During installation you need to identify a directory to be used to store temporary scratch files during an analysis. If this directory doesnt exist, or if it doesnt have read/write privileges then the above error will be generated. You can check to see what the scratch directory definition is in the run configuration file: c:\Femapv103\nastran\conf\nast8.rcf. By default the scratch setting is: Sdir = c:\scratch.

Q8: Where can I find Femap examples or tutorials?

A8: Once you complete the Femap installation, you can access the Examples Guide in the online help system, Help / Examples. There are also a number of video demos and tips and tricks on the Femap website:
www.siemens.com/plm/femapdemos

Q9: Which capabilities are included in the free trial program?

A9: The full version of Femap with NX Nastran is included which comprises the base module of NX Nastran with Dynamic Response and Design Optimization. The base module of NX Nastran contains a lot of functionality including NX Nastran nonlinear, thermal and heat transfer, linear and glued contact, as well as sparse and iterative solvers.

Q10: Are there any model size limitations with the free trial?

A10: No, there are no size limitations for either the geometry or FE models with the versions of Femap and NX Nastran provided with the free trial.