Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEMAP Color Groups

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The ability to randomly assign colors to elements and nodes within a group seems to be a glaring omission in Femap.  Please add a feature to allow the user to assign elements and nodes in a group a color.  This feature was very useful in Patran especially when you have a large model.  Currently it seems Femap can only assign colors by property or material.

3 REPLIES

Re: FEMAP Color Groups

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I guess I ran accross one solution using the Modify > Element > Color  then assign random colors by group.

But it would be nice if there were a faster option, or maybe a right click option in the groups section of the model tree.

Thanks,

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I agree and would extend this concept further:

- this should be available quicker for groups, properties and materials, + a reset button (turn elements back to their default color, view colors by elements)

- there should be a notion of reusable "color schemes": I've coded APIs here which, for example, apply a color by group, then write these group/color correspondance to the userdata with a label indicating this is color by group. If the user switches to color by properties for some reason, and then switches back to groups, the APIs detect the presence of this table and proposes either to re-use these color by groups, or create new ones (oin which case the table is re-written)

This has proved useful for coherence when generating views for documents

- there is even a last step: these color schemes can be exported in text format, to be reused in a different FEMAP session. This is useful again for coherence for example if several people work on the same model, or if you don't save the .modfem files.

AP

Legend
Legend

Hi Stressman,

here attached a simple API script which allow you to select groups to randomly color elements and nodes...delete the .txt extension and put it under C:\FEMAPvxxx\api

Active the color with / Elements colors...

Regards,

Seifeddine Naffoussi