Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

FEMAP does not appear to be registered as a COM Server.

Hello,

I installed the new version of Femap (v11.4.0) as administrator yesterday and tried it. It worked, but this time I have not received license yet. I logged off and logged in as normal user. I would like to work with Femap 11.3.2 until I get license, but I got an error message:

"FEMAP does not appear to be registered as a COM Server. API access may not work properly. (Error=13/0/0)
To correct this try restarting once with "Run as Administrator" and if the problem persists reinstall with Administrator privileges."

I logged off, invite our administrator to logging in, he logged in as administrator. I ran Femap 11.3.2 and closed it. I logged off and logged in as normal user. So I could work.

After a few hours I got license to new Femap version. I would like to work with it, but I got the error message too, this time in Femap 11.4.0.

I needed to invite our administrator again to ran Femap 11.4.0 as administrator. So I can use Femap 11.4.0 as normal user, but Femap 11.3.2 not.

I could use earlier more version of Femap without such procedures.

Best regards

Peter Kaderasz

6 REPLIES

Re: FEMAP does not appear to be registered as a COM Server.

Dear Peter,

According developers this is as expected when you have different FEMAP versions installed in your computer, the option "Run As Administrator" sets the femap OLE/COM object to point to a particular FEMAP version.  FEMAP tries to set itself each time it runs, but without Administrator privileges it can’t, so you get the error message when switching version.

run-as-administrator.png

I suggest to uninstall the old FEMAP versions once you have everything properly configured in the new FEMAP V11.4 (materials, VIEW properties, functions, etc..). 

Important: to be version undependent I suggest to use a configuration directory (in my case I use D:\0_RECURSOS_FEMAP) where customized user files are located, for instance VIEW.esp, FUNCTIONS.esp, LOGO file, API users tool path, etc.., pointing always to those files when using FILE > PREFERENCES > LIBRARY/STARTUP command, this way you can save your APIs in your directory, add new materials to your user material file, your views, etc.. AND LATER when uninstalling the old FEMAP version those files will never be deleted, OK?.

preferences-library.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Hello Blas,

thank you for your answer. So the using of multi versions of Femap is no longer supported.

Best regard

Peter Kaderasz

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author kadpeter
2 weeks ago

Dear Peter,

No, no, I don't say that: you can have installed multiple versions of FEMAP in your computer, no problem here, simply to avoid the above "warning" error message click with the right mouse button in the ICON to run FEMAP and choose "Run as Administrator".

To uninstall old versions of FEMAP is important for me because I run third-party software like FEMPLY, winLIFE, etc.. if  you have many versions of FEMAP installed in the computer then the APPS don't know which one to point properly, or the APPS installer could give error, OK?.

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Hello Blas,

Thank you.

Best regards,

Peter Kaderasz

Peter, 

When you get the error message after the first time, do you remember what the error code listed was? In your original post, it shows 13/0/0, which usually happens the first time a particular version of FEMAP runs that wasn't able to be registered properly during installation; running as admin clears that up. Its usually not common to see that same error code again unless something else is going on. Is it possible that it was 6/0/0 on subsequent runs?

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

These numbers are always 13/0/0. I installed on more computers new version of Femap, but only on one tried to running as administrator more times the old and new versions of Femap. I installed new version on the second PC but I didn't run this version as administrator. On this PC appear now the error message with new version and with version v11.3.2 not. On the third PC I ran as administrator the new version only once immediately after install, here in the v11.3.2 appear numbers 13/0/0 too. If I run the new version and the old version on the same PC at the same time, numbers will 13/0/0 in one of them.

Best regards

Peter Kaderasz