Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEMAP reading MSC Nastran solver *.f06 files which contain CBUSH elements

Experimenter
Experimenter

A supplier has used MSC Nastran version 2012.2.0 as a solver to generate a *.f06 file which contains all element output loads.  The FEM file definition (input file) was uploaded into FEMAP version 10.3.1 and then the *.f06 file was uploaded.  Upon reviewing the Output Vector IDs, all element internal output loads were read into FEMAP (e.g. CBARs, CQUAD4s, CRODs, etc.) except for CBUSH element output loads.  They are in the *.f06 file but FEMAP does not have it listed in the output vector so I am unable to do any post-processing work within FEMAP regarding these elements.  It's almost as if FEMAP 'skips over' the CBUSH element outputs listed in the *.f06 file upon reading the information using 'uploading'.

Is there a known issue with the specific problem I'm experiencing in FEMAP?  Has anyone else experienced this?

I am unable to acquire an *.OP2 (or XDB) format but in my past experience, they seem to work.  The issue (as far as I can tell) is only related to *.f06 files with CBUSH elements.

Your help is very much appreciated.

12 REPLIES

Re: FEMAP reading MSC Nastran solver *.f06 files which contain CBUSH elements

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

Same here.

The problem might be coming from the fact that CBUSH output lines begin with a 0. I don't know how this is taken into account, it does not appear in the format.esp file (whereas for other lines where constant terms appear, such as the "G" in the displacement vector, the term appears in the format.esp).

I tried replacing the 0 s by spaces in the f06 but it does not seem to work.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I did try that myself and I was unable to get it to work as well.  NX Nastran generated *.f06 files has the same issue (which I guess is reasonable give NX Nastran is based from the MSC Nastran 2003 version prior to the 'split').  I'm not sure this 'bug' was fixed in FEMAP version 11 so I'm hesitated to go to the new version.  Hopefully someone at FEMAP reads this and fixes this 'bug'.

Thanks.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The f06 reader does not support CBUSH output at this time. Editing the f06 will not help. Is it possible to rerun requesting op2 output? 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Unfortunately, this aspect of the project is officially 'closed' so I am unable to go back to the supplier and ask for them to re-run the FEM with an *.OP2 or *.XDB file output.  If I knew there was a 'bug', I would have requested it in the beginning.  I spent 8 hours yesterday stripping out all the CBUSH element output loads from the *.f06 file (~ 800 CBUSH EIDs with 104 load cases).  It is just unfortunate that I am unable to view it in FEMAP for post-processing.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If we can convert the f06 data to csv type format, then we can import into Femap. We are looking into it and we will post something ASAP.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I believe you are correct in that I can 'extract' the info in the *.f06 and manipulate it so that it is formmated in a *.CSV file (using EXCEL I guess).  Then in FEMAP, go to File > Import > Analysis Results, and choose Comma-Separated for the analysis program.  An example on formatting is shown in the Femap help section "8.10.3 The Comma-Separated Table Format".  However, the example is written in very 'generic' terms and I'm not sure how to really structure it correctly without doing a lot of trial-&-error approach to get it to upload correctly in FEMAP.

If an example can be shown, that would be great.  Thankyou for your interest in this issue.  I tried first contacting NeiNastran for this problem but they weren't able to definitely state that the *.f06 reader does not support CBUSH elements.

Phenom
Phenom

Here's a bit of code I readapted from a different parser...

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank for the script.  I tried running it but it only extracted out the highest CBUSH EID # for each load case in the *.f06 file.  Therefore, it ignored the previous ~799 listed CBUSH EIDs for each load case output.  I know nothing about API (or programming code) so I don't have the technical expertise to modify the script to 'extract' out all the CBUSH EIDs.

Thank you for your assistance though.  I very much appreciate it.

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry, should have tested it first...

This should do the trick

A. Pavageau