Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEMAP with ANSYS beam modelling

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi there, Ansys preferred beam element is nowadays beam188, but the default of FEMAP is still beam44. I like to imprt a bdf file made by workbecnch into FEMAP. FEMAP automatically translates the beam element to beam44. It seems impossible to change that. Or is there a way? I think it is a good idea to chenge the standard of ANSYS beam element in FEMAP to BEAM188, since BEAM44 is even taken out of the element description in the ANSYS help file.
6 REPLIES

Re: FEMAP with ANSYS beam modelling

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

At this time you will have to edit the input file generated by FEMAP.  The BEAM44 real constant data must be translated to BEAM188 section data.  There should be adequate documenation from ANSYS on how to do this.

Experimenter
Experimenter
After read in of the bdf file, there is no option to edit the properties. I tried this. I have made new properties with beam188 and re-assigned them to the elements., but this is no solution. FEMAP seems to ignore it and keeps writing out an .ans file with beam44 elements.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

You can change the formulation of the beam by using the command Modify > Update Element > Formulation... This cannot be done by editing the existing property.

Phenom
Phenom

Just did a quick test using Femap V11.4.1 and it does appear to read and write BEAM188 into an .ANS file.  But I am not an Ansys user, so I'm not sure if there are finer details to worry about.  As you say.. once the formulation has been modified.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Is it possible to post the file that you are talking about in the original post so that FEMAP development can test this? We are looking at improvements to the translator for a future release of FEMAP.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks, the element update solution works, but I still have differences with the default solver solutions of ANSYS. Apparently the default settings in FEMAP still differ with the default settings of ANSYS (KEYOPT setteings). But I think I can figure this out myself. And if the default is adjusted in v11.4.1 this query seems to be solved as well.