cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap API via Matlab COM/OLE

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've been utilizin the Femap API via VBA in Excel but since many of my projects are in Matlab it would be more preferrable to perform my task via a central program like Matlab. Does anyone know how to implement the first commands to get the femap active model object in Matlab?

There is a discussion here about the same issue, but without a resolution. I've tried using actxcserver() command without avail.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/49131

Since it can be done in Python, I'm sure it can be done in Matlab. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

2 REPLIES

Re: Femap API via Matlab COM/OLE

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm very familiar with using the FEMAP API from Matlab.

If you want to start a new FEMAP session, do

>> happ = actxserver('femap.model');

If you want to attach to an existing session, do

>> happ = actxGetRunningServer('femap.model');

From there, you can use get/set to get and set properties, and invoke() to invoke methods.  For example, to make the FEMAP session visible, do

>> rc = invoke(happ,'feAppVisible',true);

Overall this works pretty well.  However, if you attempt to use methods that have both input and output arguments in the calling arguments (which is a lot of them), it will not work since Matlab doesn't really pass by reference (that's a complicated subject).  The only way I've found around that is to write a C++ Mex file that encapsulates these API calls.  This is not for the faint of heart--COM in C++ is not trivial.  ATA has developed a toolbox called IMAT that includes this functionality, including the FEMAP API wrapper.  We (ATA) use it extensively with our Vibrata software.  You can learn more about IMAT at www.ata-e.com/software/imat.

Re: Femap API via Matlab COM/OLE

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Dan,

That wasn't the answer I was hoping for but it does tell me to move on with another method. I'd like to automate dynamic modal runs and use the free-body methods to query results so a limited functionality via Matlab won't do. I'll continue to write the API via Python.

IMAT looks useful but as we don't have access to it, I'll just stay in a conventional route.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best,

Alex