Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Femap: Glued Contact - Separating or Just the Plot?

[ Edited ]

I have 2 surfaces mated using glued contact.  I have run a modal analysis.  When I view th results deformation, it looks as though the 2 surfaces are separating even though they are glued.  Is this just an artifact of the deformation plot?

EDIT: I can almost answer my own question.  When I look at other connection regions, I do not see this separation.  What could be causing it in this particular location?

contactsep.JPG

5 REPLIES

Re: Femap: Glued Contact - Separating or Just the Plot?

It certainly appears that they are separating, if you would send us the model, we can take a look at it.

sherman dot mark at siemens dot com

Mark.

Hi Mark - I am currently re-running after regenerating the contact regions manually and adjusting the default Nastran ERROR value.  I will let you know what happens.  Thank you for your help.

If one of the materials is quite flexible (and you may want to change it anyway), you may need to increase the glue factor on the Glue connection property.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author saladsamurai
‎07-14-2016 02:24 PM

[ Edited ]

The default value of ERROR was .5" and the original connection regions were defined a lottle awkwardly, which may have been the result of some small features in the vicinity of the regions.  Decreasing ERROR and defining the regions explicitly seems to have worked.

I will look into the glue factor too.  All parts are same material (aluminum) and mesh density.

OK, then same material and pictured mesh density should never produce that gap.
When checking regions and contacts, it is always worthwhile to right click on the region and choose "Show Expanded". This is better than just highlighting just the region surfaces. Show Expanded will highlight all the element faces that will actually be written out to NX Nastran.