Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap: Reconnecting Rigid Elements after Mesh Delete/Replace (API ?)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a FEM in which there are multiple meshes being connected together using the typical RBE2-CBUSH-RBE2 approach.  To simplify the discussion, lets just talk 2 meshes for now.

Imagine that you have meshed part1 and part2 and used many rbe2-cbush-rbe2 connection types.  Now part1 is re-designed and we call it part3.  I have meshed part3, deleted the original part1 and imported part3 mesh.

You can imagine that when I deleted the orginal part1, the rbe elements that were connected to part1 remain behind and they have all of their of 'ungrounded' nodes dangling from them (left from the old mesh).

Is there a sensible way to reconnect these rbe elements to the new part3?  I was hoping there was something automated. 

My next move is to write an API to try to do some of the leg work for me as I have many parts and many dangling connections.

Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES

Re: Femap: Reconnecting Rigid Elements after Mesh Delete/Replace (API ?)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Tools -> Check -> Coincident Nodes.  Use the "Preview" button to see what's going to get merged.  In this command you can also control which node numbers get kept, and which get deleted.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi masherman and thank you for your reply.  I had considered that 'workaround' and will probably end up using it.  But I think that it is a workaround.  The tolerance will have to be opened up quite a bit to try to get all of the nodes and there are some downsides to this method

There might be still be dangling nodes (or the opposite-->gaps where nothing is connected on new new mesh) depending on density of the new mesh.

Also I will need to be sareful of surrounding meshes that I do not want to accidently have merged.

But it's a start.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Greetings . There was a similar problem . How to solve it correctly , I do not know .

(view in My Videos)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This is currently a limitation in the Meshing Toolbox, beam, plate, and solid meshes all get updated with mesh size changes, however manually connected elements, such as these rigids, do not.  We're looking at two approaches for FEMAP v11.4 or v12.0 where we autoupdate rigids and/or create new connectors that connect curves and surfaces where the elements do not get generated until a FEA input file is created.  I think the autoupdate will be first, and full connector support second.