Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap: Viewing results from one mesh on another mesh (Data Surface > Output Map Data Surface?)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all - This might be a strange question, but here goes.

I want to compare stresses from multiple meshes and was hoping there is a way to view them all in the same file.  I was thinking that the Data Surface > Output Map Data Surface might be used but I cann't quite figure out the work flow.

The objective is to view the Von mises stresses from a coarse mesh and the VM stresses from a fine mesh of the same geometry but view them both in the asme file with only one mesh.

Is this possible? 

1 REPLY

Re: Femap: Viewing results from one mesh on another mesh (Data Surface > Output Map Data Surface?

Phenom
Phenom
Assuming you have first looked at the help for the Output Map Data surface... The main purpose of that Data Surface once created is to make a load from previous Output. Because Von Mises stress is a scalar value, you need to use the Output Data Surface you have created (from the Von Mises stress) in order to create a scalar load on the other mesh. I would recommend temperature as an appropriate / easy scalar load. Once you have created the temperature load on the new mesh, you can use Model -> Output -> From Load to make a result from your temperature load and thus allow you to view the temperature (=Von Mises stress) result / load on your new mesh.

You might be able to have all the different meshes in the same model and in the same place - but in different groups or layers for easy selection - and then run the steps above for each mesh using just the one Data Surface, and then simply switch on/off the mesh you want when you look at the Output from Load result.