Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap model bounding box

Experimenter
Experimenter

There is an article on Femap model bounding box at the web address http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Femap-Knowledge-Base/Femap-Model-Bounding-Box/ta-p/32...

but I don't know how to show the model box in femap, can anyone make some further explanation about this topic, the corresponding menu command and detail usage?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Femap model bounding box

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

Unless I'm mistaken you can't directly show the bounding box in FEMAP. It is accessible through the API, but only for geometric entities (surfaces and solids). And it works in global rectangular coordinates, which is not always useful. (I would venture a guess that the bounding box feature comes from the parasolid engine).

If you're trying to draw the bounding box for a mesh, here's a macro which might help. I wrote this only to create nice pictures for documents, so the lines are deleted at the end (you can only delete them through the API). This could be modified to use plot elements...

If you're trying to draw the bounding box for geometric entities, the macro can easily be modified to use surfaces' or solids' 'BoundingBox' method. You would need to change section 1) of the macro.

Why is the bounding box feature very powerful? This can be answered by looking at what the macro does: I go through all nodes selected by the user and find min/max cordinates. If you show a 2D/1D model with its thickness or cross sections, the model could look like it is outside its bouding box! The "Bounding Box" method for geometric entities will not make that kind of mistake.

Adrien Pavageau

Re: Femap model bounding box

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks very much for your macro, I will make a further study.

Best regards.

Cai