Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap nonlinear MultiSet analysis with model changes between subcases

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi !

I'm new in nonlinear simulations in Femap and I want to know if there's a possibility to launch an analysis , starting from a previous one with a small change in the model between steps?

For examples I have a weak structure and I want to "fit a bracket" (add the bracket in the model) while the structure is deformed under an initial load case; and starting from the deformed shape, with the bracket added ,to launch a different load case.

The aim of my example is to determine the value of residual stress intraped by the bracket in the surrounding structure.

After a quick look in the examples ...the MultiSet option from the nonlinear-static analysis seems to fit to my needs .....but is it possible to do it with that model update between load cases?

Any oppinion on this matter is more than welcome!

Thanks!

Dumitru

4 REPLIES

Re: Femap nonlinear MultiSet analysis with model changes between subcases

Phenom
Phenom
I can't say for sure if the multi-set nonlinear will do this (SOL400), but this type of work can be done using the Advanced Non-linear option, using element birth. The bracket mesh is included in the model from the beginning, but a "birth time" is set for the time during the analysis after the rest of the structure has already been loaded. The bracket is added in the unstrained condition, and the analysis progresses (eg. structure unloads) with the new bracket in place, which will then include a residual stress.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Many thanks EndZ for your response.

I will try your solution and let you know if I handled the task!

Thanks again!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here is a sample model Femap neutral file that demonstrates element birth/death in advanced nonlinear solver(sol 601)

The element birth/death is not supported directly in Femap, so you must manually add the EBDSET case control entry and the EBDSET bulk data entry manually. You can see I've added those inputs in the "start text" areas for case control and for bulk data.

Regards,

Joe

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks a lot fembrackin for you're example;

It was very helpful