cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femap spring compression

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello there fellow users,

Im working on different springs and I need to evaluate the force required to compress each one completely.

Is there a way to make each loop stop when they hit the platform under the spring ? In other words, make a rigid contact between both elements so when I apply the load the spring would not go through the platform.

It should even be possible without any platform but I have tried a lot of thing without any result...

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Patrice

3 REPLIES

Re: Femap spring compression

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Patrice,

Its is very easy: simply use CGAP node-to-node contact elements. You will need to define a different CGAP property for each CGAP elements in function of its length, ie, iniTial GAP.

CGAP-compression-only.jpg

To generate automatically the CGAP elements use command MESH > CONNECT > CLOSEST LINK and activate the option ADJUST LENGTH, this way FEMAP will write different properties for each CGAP element in function of its original distance, ie, initial gap.

cgap-adjust-length.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again,  

Thanks a lot for your reply it seems to work,

But It looks like the spring cant be compress totally (the loops doesn't touch the platform) even when I put a stronger force on top of my model. Do you have any idea why ? The ground has a force on it too which is pretty weird. Gap as contact is checked in my analyse library.

The link represent the maximum deformation that I'm able to get.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Experimenter
Experimenter

This is a different picture where I took out the hole in my model.