Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometrical Interference in FEMAP

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,
I have been using FEMAP for the past few months now and so far loving it.

I have a 3D CAD model of a section of fuselage with Stringers, Longerons, Shell & Frames. I have extracted surfaces of skin & frames so far. Problem is that I can see some intereference between the skin & frames extracted surfaces. I did midsurfacing only for frames and extracted the inner surface of the skin shell. Is there a feature in FEMAP to check for geometrical interferences? I can already forsee the above as a potential issue when I mesh the geometry.

This 2nd question is more of a curiosity. I can see FEMAP representing (at least graphically) the skin surface as a series of straight lines joined together to form a circle (Yes, I know this is how CAD & other packages construct a circle). But I am seeing rather longish straight lines and I am unsure if this is creating a visual illusion of interference or if any actual interference is present. Any thoughts on the 2nd?

Regards,
- V

3 REPLIES

Re: Geometrical Interference in FEMAP

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I don't think FEMAP can really detect clashing solids. However it can measure the minimum distance between geometric entities, so I guess in some cases that would do the job.

As for the curve/suface facetting it may very well be an illusion. Have a look at Modify > Update Other > Solid facetting: for curves belonging to solids you can make them "smoother" - or more refined - by increasing the "Curve Factor". Look this function up in the help to understand better what each parameter does.

AP

Pioneer
Pioneer

THanks for the reply. I think the error was graphical.

Phenom
Phenom

Given the multiple Undo levels, to test interference you could use Geometry -> Solid -> Add or perhaps Geometry -> Surface -> Non-manifold Add.  The reason for this is that if you can successfully add together the solids or surfaces, then there must be interference.  This would be seen by using any commmand which selects a solid, and note whether your individual solids have become a conglomerate.  

If the solids / surfaces do not add together, then either they do not interfere/intersect - or in the case of adding solids (in contrast to sheet solids or surfaces), then there may be a knife edge intersection, which is not a valid topology for a solid when using Geometry -> Solid -> Add.