Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Ply and Composite Modelling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am just starting to work with Femap's composite module.

I have the following few questions for when I work with shell models:

1) I came across many topics mentioning the global ply capability of Femap. Can someone please explain when should I create global plies as opposed to layups?

2) Lets say that I have a composite part that has local layups in certain areas. Is there any way to quickly input the layup at once and for reinforcements take the initial layup and perform the necessary modifications. (See Figure)

Ply LayupPly Layup

For example, we know that there are 3 separate regions. So after partitioning the surface, I create the 3 layups separately, then I assign 3 property fields and mesh the individual partitions with the respective properties. I was thinking it would be faster if we could assign the base layup all over the surface and instead of creating a new layup from scratch, we select the surface with local reinforcement and add the reinforcing plies at the approciate location. I guess all I am trying to do is to avoid creating layups from scratch again. In a big model we have to do lot of layups for different areas as the plies taper off.

3) For postprocessing for composite parts made of multiple plies, is there a way to obtain which ply has the highest stress/ deflection within the layup without going through the results of each ply.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Saptarshi

3 REPLIES

Re: Global Ply and Composite Modelling

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Global Plies are part of a Femap Layup, not a substitute.  They are useful for postprocessing, for example, if you assign a Global Ply to the top and bottom plies and another to the mid-ply of each layup, you can easily plot or list the results for those plies instead of trying to track ply number(s).

I've attached a copy of the lecture notes from our Femap 101 class on Laminates and the accompaning workshop.  You should remove the .txt file name extension from the file ex24-Fitting.neu.txt so that the name is ex24-Fitting.neu.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

^Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing Femap 101 class material. Was helpful and provided additional tips. 

One question I have is with respect to splitting up the Middle Layer ply in to upper & lower one during definition of the layup in Femap. The slides says the splitting up is due to the need for investigating shear force in the plies but never revisits Shear Force output during post-processing. I've never come across such a modeling process and was wondering if you could shed some more light on it?

Thanks again...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi VN,

The shear force output is needed to see what kind of shear forces are between the plies because the load is transferred between plies through shear. If the shear forces are too high, potentially the bond might fail.

In the output, (F5-> Deformed and Contour Data) choose which shear force output you want to investigate and you will see the plot.

For more information visit this thread:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Femap-Discussion-Forum/Postprocessing-Shear-XY-YZ-ZX...

Regards,

Saptarshi