Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Hex Meshing this component?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I am having issues with Hex meshing this component. The component is not very tricky but one area is providing me with challenges of mesh transition which I am not able to overcome.

Attaching a few pictures which will illustrate the model and more.

01.PNG02.PNG03.PNG

Hoping that I can achieve an element size as indicted. Objective is to have coarser element density towards lug side & finer one towards the flange attachment side.

The transition region i.e. I-section attaching with solid block is region which is giving me issues. Not able to come up with an acceptabe transition mesh pattern. I have also broken down the solid model in to various slices as best as I can.

Also the model may look symmetric on first glance but its not. I think there are subtle differences which make it inaccurate to use mirror command to copy elements.

I am also attaching a zip file which contains a step copy of the model. If anybody would like to take a stab and give me some pointers, I would really appreciate.

At the moment, I went ahead & used tetra mesh but in future, I would like to use hexa if possible.

Thx

5 REPLIES

Re: Help with Hex Meshing this component?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Any chance you have the geometry before it was split up?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't know how you have modelled the original solid you have sliced. I have tried to import your step file in my cad (Creo Parametric 4.0) and I was not able to have a proper solid for the parts 99, 109, 18 and 153. I have also noticed hundreds of curves not necessary in these parts. Part no. 152 seems a simple square box but it has a lot of faces not necessary. In this case it is very difficult to mesh even for tetraedric mesh.

You can try to cleanup all the parts but in my opinion it takes a lot of time,  I suggest you to build a new model in your cad in the simplest way you can, or to built the model directly in Femap in this way you can build directly each sub parts so you can mesh with hexa elements.

AMinati

Siemens Phenom

The STEP file had a lot of small edges and sliver faces around the main cylindrical hole.  I recreated some geometry, and am able to hex mesh.  Updated geometry is attached to thisHM1.jpg post -

Pioneer
Pioneer

^^Thx for the response folks. I appreciate it. I am sorry, I should have posted direct CAD exported STEP file. 

Masherman, thanks for your efforts. It seems like you are able to obtain good transition in mesh densities. May I ask you how you accomplished it? Did you use Mesh->Geo->Size on solids command to set element size to individual solids or did you create a 2D plot only mesh and performed an extrude operation to obtain hex elements? 

Siemens Phenom

This was the defaults, Mesh - Mesh Control - Size on Solid, chose Hex Meshing, and hit ok.

Mark.