Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Post-processing in Excel

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,
This ain't a Femap related question nevertheless I would greatly appreciate some help.

I have a bunch of CBUSH elements and I have exracted nodes Free body forces using Freebody tool in Femap. I was able to copy the Free body outputs in to Excel for further processing.

I realize that Freebody tool outputs the forces on both ends of an element and they are in equilibrium. I want to eliminate results of one set of nodes. I deleted nodes column and then tried using "Remove Duplicates" option in Excel for Element ID column but it still doesn't give me the desired results. Output set for same elements from two nodes still remain.

If you folks know how to accomplish the above, please help me out.

Thx

2 REPLIES

Re: Help with Post-processing in Excel

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

You certainly could use Excel's remove duplicates functionality, but how well it works and what column you'd want to filter on for duplicates would depend on what data you're trying to send to Excel. If you can paste some sample data here I could provide further guidance.

If the end goal is really just to get CBUSH forces to Excel, then the freebody approach probably isn't the most direct (although it would be if you're already using freeboides of those elements). There's a number different ways you could get that data over

• List->Output->Results to Data Table
    • This is probably the easiest way, however there is currently a limitation in that the data can only be listed in the nodal OCS 
    • Select vectors 3774-3776 for Bush Fx, Fy and Fz (also select 3777-3780 for X, Y, and Z moments, respectively)
    • Select the CBUSH elements of interest
    • In the Data Table, select the copy icon (2nd from the left) to send the results to the clipboard
  • Contour Arrows
    • In the Contour section of the PostprocessingToolbox, select Contour Arrow as the contour style
    • Select one of the bush force vectors (or moments if that's what is of interest). Doesn't matter which one, FEMAP will automatically pair the vectors
    • Optional - specify a contour group to limit to certain CBUSH elements
    • List->Output->Contoured Results to Data Table, then copy the results to the clipboard
    • This will copy the displayed CBUSH vectors to the clipboard
    • Optional - specify the arrow display mode as shear/axial to have FEMAP automatically calculate shear
  • List->Output->Force Balance
    • If you don't have a freebody in your model
      • Select Interface Load and only select the List Contribution Details option
      • Select clipboard as the destination
      • For load components, select only the Freebody element contribution
      • When selecting nodes, change method to on Element, then select the elements on one side of the interface but don't select the CBUSH elements
      • When selecting nodes, select the CBUSH elements
      • Ignore the summation location
      • Select a listing coordinate system
    • If you don't have a freebody in your model and its easier to just select CBUSH elements and do sorting in Excel
      • Select the Force Balance option and only select the List contribution details option
      • Select nodes on the CBUSH elements
      • Select CBUSH elements
      • Select output coordinate system
      • Paste in Excel and select all cells
      • Use the Remove Duplicates command in Excel and specify the Source column as the only column that can contain duplicates

One thing to be careful about when looking at CBUSH output via freebody values is that it's usually not obvious if the bushing is in tension or compression - you'll need to look at surrounding information as well to get a better idea. This is when it is better to look at the raw solver data. If you're just concerned about shear as a resultant, that won't be affected.

Hope that helps.

Re: Help with Post-processing in Excel

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thx for the detailed reply pkrien. One of the helpful posts. Exporting Contour Data in to Data Table and then to Excel worked perfectly.